- the future

"FLORENCE!" THEY SCREAM, "Florence, over here! Over here, please!"

The cameras flash violently.

"This way, please!"

"Florence, tell us about your newest project!"

"Look over here!"

I smile as politely and sweetly as I can since I've been told to do so millions of times by dozens of people that claim I have an "RBF"? A resting bitch face, which was not only rude but disrespectful. True? Yes, but who cares.

Red carpets aren't as fantastic as I used to dream about them being as a child. Now that the whole world knows not only my name, but Juliette's, Aaron's, Kenji's, Nazeera's and Lydia's as well, we've become somewhat of celebrities. People with cameras—paparazzi—find us and take pictures of us to make public and show the world. It's been four years since the Reestablishment fell and everyone is desperate to meet us, even now.

As for my "new project", I've been working on my dream job that I've had since I was a child. I've become fashion designer and the first one since the world returned to its new normal. My brand is called Warner & Fashion and I named it after my brother and I. People seemed to be very skeptical of this idea at first, considering who our father was, but I've turned it into something great. Something that is mine and something I'm proud of. And I decided against taking Kenji's surname for the sake of my own identity. Though I don't always associate good things with the name Warner, it's who I am. Who I grew into being and I don't want to lose that, no matter what.

"Florence!" They all scream my name throughout the city's red carpet. We now live in what used to be New York City and have named it such again. I prefer it here much more to where we lived in South America, although we still own that building complex and we're definitely going to use it to go on vacation.

I spot Juliette at the end of the carpet and see she's doing an interview with a reporter, smiling and laughing like this is all very natural for her. It isn't for me. She looks like she was born for this, for the fame and the love. I know I certainly wasn't. Although I appreciate all of the compliments and attention I'm receiving, I also don't know what to do with it all half the time.

"Florence, would you mind doing an interview?" A woman raises her voice over the loud yelling and flashing cameras. She looks tiny beneath all of these men squashing her and it breaks something in my heart. She looks like the type of person who took forever to get here and now that she is, she's being looked over completely. And I don't like that.

So I quickly walk over to her, a smile on my face as I watch her lips rise. She pushes away her black hair and opens her blue eyes fully.

"Hey," I smack away the men crushing her. "Take a few steps back, would you?"

They listen immediately and in a weird way it reminds me of the days I used to train soldiers.

The woman smiles. "Thank you, Ma'am."