Chapter 16: A Trick of Flattery and Obviousness

I don't know how long I sat crumpled on the floor, sobbing my heart out while crew-fae bumped into me as they carried away parts of the stage, saying "what the courts, lady." I was so out of it I didn't even care that I was acting a little bit like Feyre, indulging my own emotions and getting in the way of people who had a job to do. Surely I'm allowed at least one dramatic meltdown in this story.

I didn't stop until I felt an elegant, glove-covered hand on my shoulder and turned around to see Rhysand with the seven Blackthorne sisters crowded behind him. Even with the conversation we'd had the other day, I still couldn't stop myself from blushing furiously and wishing I wasn't such an ugly crier.

"I'm sorry," I stammered, and explained what had happened with Tamlin and Feyre.

"Curse this fae-forsaken network," Rhysand said, "I've been saying for years these reality shows do nothing but make everyone miserable. I wish I could quit and head back to the Night Court, but I signed this cursed magical contract when I was young and stupid. I wish I could do something about Feyre, but the faerie law forbids me from interfering with another court."

"It doesn't matter," I said, "Even if Tamlin sent Feyre away she'd just go right back to him. I know her, and I know how she feels about him. It's a problem without an answer."

Concern pooled in Rhysand's green eyes. "Nesta, there's an abandoned guard shack just on the human side of the Wall. If you want to leave letters there for Feyre, I can take them to her. And if she's willing, I can bring you and your family Over the Wall to visit her."

"That would be something," I admitted. "Thank you so much."

"Think nothing of it," he answered. "As I said earlier, it's the least I can do. I wish I could undo all the harm caused by this thrice-accursed Prythian Plus, but one does what one can. Over the Wall with that wretched contract- no offense, ladies."

"None taken," the sisters replied, practically in unison.

Suddenly, everything clicked into place for me. "Lord Rhysand, I've just thought of some harm you could undo. And if it's help with a contract you need–well, you could say we know a guy."

Rhysand's face brightened. "Tell me more!"

...

"Lord Todstule!" Rhysand's voice sang out at the door of Oberon House the next day. "You've been selected for a very special episode of Riddle Me This, our newest show coming to Prythian Plus next season, starring Yours Truly, my lovely assistant here, and of course Prythian's hottest new girl band, the Ginger Pleiades!"

The door was flung open and Todstule himself shot out with a surprised grin on his bug-eyed face. I couldn't believe I was back here and couldn't suppress a shudder when I remembered how he had been convinced I was in love with him. It felt like years ago and moments ago at the same time. Heat shot to my face as I saw Will's face in the window, and I adjusted the faerie mask I was wearing.

"I knew it!" Todstule exclaimed, rubbing his webby hands together. "I'm headed back Over the Wall!"

"Not so fast," said Rhysand. "You've got to solve a riddle first. If you solve it, you can come back to Prythian, but on one condition - Oberon House and all its assets will be transferred immediately to its remaining occupant."

"That's fine," Todstule said eagerly. "Why would I need this miserable human hovel once I'm back in Prythian? Now riddle me up!"

"You got it," said Rhysand with a wink to the camera-fae. "Here goes:

I never fail. I conquer all.

I make the world go 'round.

I start with L. I rhyme with "glove."

Not "stove" or "prove," though.

I am -"

"Love!" Shouted Todstule. "Why, love, of course, you ninny!"

"He got it on the first try!" Rhysand exclaimed. "Lord Todstule, when I tell you, that stumped some of our brightest faeries Over the Wall. Well, anyway, this has been Riddle Me This. Our finest carriage is waiting to take you to your new home in the Spring Court as the personal assistant to Lady Feyre!"

"Well, nobody said that - now see here -" But Todstule was rushed away by assistant-fae before he could say another word.

I pulled off my mask with a triumphant smile as the new owner of Oberon House came rushing out, dazed and blinking in the bright sunlight, and we ran into each other's arms.