Ch. 1 The Preface

Water.

Earth.

Fire.

Air.

Growing up, my Gran Gran would tell my siblings and me various legends.

Two stuck out to me the most.

The Legend of the Avatar

And The Birth of the Southern Water Tribe.

" Kairi," An elderly female with hair as white as snow and eyes as blue as the sea named Kanna, held her hand out to her eldest Granddaughter.

A ten-year-old female with long brown hair in a ponytail and eyes that reminded Kanna of the sky, a mixture of blue and grey, named Kairi, approached the elderly female.

" Yes, Gran-Gran?" Kairi stopped walking and stood next to her paternal Grandmother.

Kanna grabbed Kairi's hand and tightly grasped it. She lifts her head and stares at the sky.

" Kairi. What do you see?" Kanna asked.

Kairi lifts her head and stares at the sky.

" I see the sky," Kairi responded.

" And do you know what element associates with the sky?" Kanna turns her gaze to Kairi, admiring the crescent moon-shaped birthmark on her Granddaughter's right cheek.

" Air," Kairi remembered.

" Yes. Like how the ground associates with Earth. The sea is associated with Water, and the volcano associates with Fire. The sky associates with Air," Kanna mysteriously speaks.

Kairi looked at Kanna with a confused expression. She looked back and saw her older twin brother, ten-year-old Sokka, chasing after their younger sister, eight-year-old Katara, since she threw a snowball at him earlier.

" Do not be afraid, my Dear," Kanna speaks, causing Kairi to look at her. " You possess the elements of water and air as well," She turns her gaze to her Granddaughter.

Kairi's blue-grey eyes widened since no one knew except for Sokka that she could manipulate Air. She kept her second-nature ability to herself for fear of getting shunned.

" Do you know why I am the only one with two elements in this tribe?" Kairi asked. " Mama, Papa, Sokka, and you can't bend," She glanced at Sokka, who tripped and fell on the snow.

" Uncle Hiro, Aunt Megumi, Uncle Jin, and Katara can only bend Water," Kairi watched Hiro, an adult water bender, melt the snow off of Sokka, causing her brother to smile.

" But why is it that I can bend Air?" Kairi looks back at Kanna.

Kanna gently placed her gloved hand on Kairi's head.

" You have my Father, Sora, to thank for blessing you to bend Air. He was very young when he stumbled upon the Southern Water Tribe," Kanna looked at the sky fondly.

" The Southern Water Tribe didn't exist at the moment. My Mother, Akua, and a few villagers fled the Northern Water Tribe because of hardships. They only wanted peace and sanctuary, and they found it in this very spot," Kanna looked at her surroundings.