Chapter 3: Eyes of Gold

"The desire of Gold is not for Gold. It's for the means of freedom and benefit," Ralph Waldo Emerson,"

"NO, ABBA! PLEASE! DON'T LEAVE!"

"Enough, son! You are to listen! Stay here and never search for us again!"

"Abba! Momma!"

"You can emerge into the world and reveal yourself as a man, not a thief,"

This caused Shaleemm to wake yet again. Frustration built upon Shaleemm's skin as he got up and rubbed his eyes. He couldn't bear it. Although he took great pride in his life as a thief and raided temples across the dunes, he wanted freedom and to be accepted more than anything. He got up and noticed the sun was rising above the walls. He then looked into the streets and saw the stranger before leaving the building. He quickly removed his sleeping clothes, dawned his outfit from before, and ran outside the building holding his swords and bag. Running out, he caught the man talking to a trader before approaching him, gaining his attention.

"I accept," He panted.

The stranger chuckled and turned to the trader, telling him in his native language to wait another day.

"I'm glad you've accepted. My name's Luxolo Gola, preferably Gola. I'm pleased to make your acquaintance," He said.

"Same to you. Now I'm a fast man; where's the temple?"

"A few miles outside the city. The temple is as forgotten as a dream, so there'll be no guards or anything to protect this temple. Bring your horse; we need to go quickly. I'll meet you outside the gates," Gola stated.

As Shaleem walked towards the stables, his brain began to tingle. Not once on the planet did his feelings override his thoughts, even if the highest bounty was on the line. But for an opportunity like this, he couldn't miss it. Besides, if he's caught and sent to prison, he'd break out like always and run away. But he pressed his thoughts aside and ran straight to the stables. After reobtaining Hasek, he waited outside the gate, where Gola eventually emerged from the city, his face not covered with an iron mask resembling a wolf. He also had a Shashamir, a long thin blade for quick duels. With him was a spotted grey horse with a more long nose and muscular legs, indicating it was from the middle regions of Albakhar. He looked over and found Shaleemm walking around as he waved.

"Are you ready to go?" He asked.

"Yes, sir. My blood's moving like a sandstorm!"

"I'm glad to hear that. Come now; it will take some time to arrive," Gola explained.

Shaleemm nodded and climbed onto Hasek, grabbing her reins as Gola boarded his horse—the guards (Tota and Apui from earlier) called for the two's attention.

"Sirs!" Tota yelled.

"Yes, guards?" Gola replied.

"Before you go, be aware of a rouge beast spotted throughout the kingdom. No one knows where or what it is, but it attacks wandering travelers outside the city. It disappears as quickly as it appears, so stay guard," Apui warned.

"We will. Thank you for your assistance," Shaleemm told them.

"Just doing our duties. Alsalamant!" The two guards said in unison.

"Alsalamant!" Shaleemm and Gola said together.

Shaleemm and Gola then shared a glance before Gola turned his horse towards the sunrise and called for his horse to make haste. Shaleemm quickly whipped the reins on Hasek and ran off with Gola toward their destination—the first clue to the Golden Scarab.