Chapter Twenty-Four

Brea

My fingers tap nervously against the steering wheel. Exhaling, I cut the engine, and climb out of the car. I feel a little tense as I enter my brother's restaurant. We haven't spoken at all since the challenge, and I just know it is going to be awkward.

There are a few tables filled, and for once, no one stops to stare at me as I walk through. Nathan exits the kitchen carrying a tray, making his way behind the bar. He glances up and pauses when he notices me. His lips spread into a thin line and his eyebrow raises.

"Hello," I say. His hair is messier than usual today, and he looks tired, as if he hasn't slept well. "Can we talk?"

"There's nothing to talk about."

My brother can honestly be the most stubborn, infuriating person on the planet. He was bad when we were kids, but I honestly think he is getting worse with age.

Turning his back to me, he continues walking. Hands curling into fists at my side, I stomp after him, growing angrier by the second.

"I'm sorry that we lost the challenge, but it isn't fair to put the entire blame on me."

Nathan whirls around, his jaw clenching. "If you weren't so distracted, you might have tried a bit harder."

"That's fucking ridiculous but I'm not going to stand here and argue about something so stupid," I retort hotly, feeling my cheeks growing hot. "And secondly, not that it is anyone's concern, but I have not slept with Zander, and he was just making a joke."

"Right," Nathan nods, giving me a disbelieving smile. The sarcastic, shit-eating smirk that I want to wipe the floor with. "Okay, sis."

"So get over it, and move on."

"No," Nathan argues stubbornly, and in this moment, he looks so much like his ten-year-old self.

"Then I'm leaving."

"Good."

"Great!" I snap, stomping back out, not even having made it in there five minutes.

Dad told me to be the mature one and approach things with calmness and maturity, when I saw him this morning. He wouldn't be proud of either of us, but he shouldn't be surprised. He always told us working together would never last.

Throwing myself back in the car, I start dialling Zander's number before I can even question what I'm doing. He answers after a few rings.

"Hey, Angel." A rush of warmth fills me out the sound of his deep, raspy voice.

"Hi, Cowboy," I say with a strained smile.

"What's wrong?" He asks.

"Just Nathan being Nathan."

"Are you at work?"

"I was, but I just left. Which is really annoying because I need the money."

"You still got my uniform?"

"Yes," I say.

"Come back to me," Zander replies. A smile stretches across my face. "Where you belong."

"Really?"

"Of course. It's expected to be busy here, but either way, I want you back."

I want you back.

"Thank you, Zander."

"You okay?" he asks gently, and my heart melts a little at his softness.

If I'm not careful, I'm really going to fall for this man.