Chapter Eighteen

Zander

The sky darkens from a sky blue, to a warm orange, to eventually black as I go about doing odd jobs around the house that I've been putting off for months. Anything to keep me distracted.

I have never, ever been this consumed by a woman before. She is driving me fucking crazy.

After a shower and a change of clothes, I realise there is nothing I can do to dampen the need to go to her. To be there for her.

"Fuck it," I mutter, stomping over to my boots and shoving them on my feet.

Forcing myself to drink water and rinse my mouth, I feel a lot more sober than I did an hour ago.

"Come on," I say to Diesel, inclining my head toward the door.

Leaping to his feet, he trots happily beside me. We walk down the long driveway, the gravel crunching underneath each of my steps. The night air washes over my skin and through my hair.

It's not a long walk to the hotel. I don't pass a single car or other person as I do.

Knocking softly on the door, I step back and wait a few moments. It swings open and a blood-shot eyed, blonde haired-beauty blinks back at me. My stomach does a weird, uncomfortable thing that I'd like to think is some sort of indigestion or side-effects of drinking too many shots. Definitely not a reaction to seeing her.

"Hi, Angel."

Offering me a watery smile, she sniffles. "Hi, Cowboy."

Bending at the knees, she reaches forward and scratches Diesel behind the ear. He pants happily, rubbing his head against her hand.

"Want to come over?"

"I'm a mess."

"That doesn't bother me."

"I look terrible."

"I think you look beautiful."

Smiling, she rubs her face, nodding. "Okay. Just a sec."

"Take your time."

She disappears into the small room. The humming of pipes sound and I lean against the door frame, surveying the other small, dingy hotel rooms. It's a quiet, safe place here but on the outside, it looks totally run down. A place where desperate people come to stay, even if it is the only hotel here.

A scent of sweet lavender fills my nose as she steps out, dressed in tight black shorts and a loose t-shirt that hangs off her shoulder. Her long hair tumbles down her back in messy waves. Some of the puffiness has cleared from her face.

"How's your dad?" I ask, collecting her bag and folding it between my side and my arm.

Blowing out a breath, she walks heavily beside me, her shoes scuffing along the dirt.

"Okay, from the fall. A few cuts and bruises. It's the cancer that's the problem."

My feet have stopped before my mind catches up with what she said. When she keeps walking, I slowly follow her, the words she just spoke whirling around inside my head.

"Shit," I mutter. "You found out tonight?"

"Yeah."

"Does Nathan know?" I question.

"Yep. He has known since I've been back."

"Oh."

A sad, heaviness fills me at the thought of her being around them so much and being totally clueless. My mouth opens a few times, but I don't know what to say. Instead, I slowly slide my arm around her shoulders. She sighs, leaning into me, placing her head on my arm.