p r o l o g u e

He watched as his cousin said his vows to
y/n, gazing so lovingly into her eyes that it made him sick. Deep down, he was happy his cousin had found happiness but the thought of an all consuming love was ludicrous to him. How, out of the billions of people on this planet, was there supposed to be only one partner for him? See? Even thinking it looked ridiculous.

The vows were said and all the glasses were raised as everyone cheered and clapped with happiness. He stood up and went to the bar for a refill.

"Kinda surprised you turned up," his cousin said as he joined him shortly after, gaze unable to leave y/n who was currently dancing with a couple of friends.

"There's worse ways to spend a Friday evening," he replied surly.

They both stood there in silence and then his cousin suddenly said, "You'll understand it one day too."

"Excuse me?"

What was his love sick cousin talking about now? Him? Understand? No thank you. He enjoyed doing whatever and whomever he wanted, no one sitting at home stressing him out about when he'll be back home or why he worked too much. Dedicating oneself to one person seemed like a fool's errand and he was no fool.

Y/N approached them both, moving to stand next to her husband, who tucked her into his side, face radiant.

"What are you boys talking about over here?"

"Nothing," he responded.

"Love," his cousin said at the same time.

He glared at him then looked at y/n. "You look beautiful. The offer of running away with me is always open."

She laughed and smoothed the skirt of her silk dress. "Thank you for the offer but I have my hands full with this one."

"Hey!"

They all laughed. "But I'll make sure to keep your offer away for a rainy day," y/n teased and his cousin pouted, the man actually pouted, and then they did that nauseating thing where they looked into each other's eyes in a way that was too intimate for him so he glanced away and that's when his eyes caught something interesting.

A server walking around, holding a tray of drinks. Her face, my god her face looked like it was meant to to be painted and admired for centuries. What was this ethereal creature doing serving champagne at his cousin's wedding? His eyes trailed over her body, noticing the way those pants that looked plain on everyone else highlighted her curves and as he looked around, he noticed he wasn't the only one appreciating the sight. He flexed his jaw, confused as to why the thought of her being approached by one of these animals made him livid.

The lights dimmed and all of a sudden, she blended with the crowd as everyone got ready for the first dance of the newly wedding couple. He tried to catch one last glimpse of the beauty over the many heads but she was gone. So were the lovely couple he came here to see.

Just as he gave up and turned to leave, someone bumped into him and something clattered loudly onto the ground, drowned out by the music.

"Oh my god!" The server exclaimed as she took a look at the front of his now drenched suit and her tray on the ground. "I'm so sorry."

It was the girl from earlier. She fell down to her knees to clean up the mess and he nearly groaned at the sight and turned to face away in case any other part of him liked it too.

"Here," a soft apologetic voice said from behind him a few moments later. He looked over his shoulder and noticed she held out a napkin. "I'll pay for the dry cleaning."

"It's fine," he said tightly.

"No, I insist. It's the least I could do after spilling my entire tray on you."

"I should've watched where I was going, I'm at fault too."

"So what do you propose we do?" She asked, crossing her arms.

And before he could control it, he found himself saying this:

"Work for me."