Chapter Four: Isolated Incident

We find Nikita's guest sitting on a high stool beside a window overlooking the city. On the table in front of her are a variety of sweets, prepared by Nikita's servants. Cookies, chocolates, cupcakes and cakes are displayed on white porcelain saucers and trays. The girl sips a swirl of wine from a champagne flute, glancing at us as we enter.

Dressed in a high-collared black jacket, form-fitting pants of the same color, and high-heeled shoes, Nikita's visitor carries herself with a look of rich sophistication.

The girl possesses an oriental beauty not unlike Nikita's. Her black hair curves and curls, reaching a little past her waist. Behind spectacles are the ocean-blue pools of her eyes— sharp, somber, and critical.

Despite her beauty and poise, my attention is instead drawn to the black, curved sword hanging around her waist.

Noble sorcerers, because of the nature of our magic, rarely need to so openly wield our weapons.

We of high birth instead rely on summoning our swords and staffs from a different dimension— a magical vault that keeps all of our prized artifacts and weapons safe from curious hands.

A sorceress openly wielding a weapon in a guest's halls can easily be interpreted as an act of hostility.

Nikita approaches the girl, her chest out and her chin held high. The girl stands in response, mirroring Nikita's proud noblewoman's bearing.

"Your Graces of Takahashi and Maxwell." Sonis says, standing between the three of us. "I introduce to you Her Grace, Yui Isvell Inoue of the Sovereign Kingdom of Genevede."

Nikita raises an eyebrow at the mention of the kingdom's name. Her guest bows before shaking her hand, smiling a simple smile.

"It's an honor to meet you, Your Grace." Nikita says. "Had I known that a person of your stature was to visit today, I would've better prepared my office. Things are a little messy right now, as you can see."

Yui glances around the room, her lips curved into a smile. Everything is in place, not a binder or folder or piece of furniture is out of line. The office room looks untouched for a hundred years, gleaming white and sparkling.

Nikita's office is so large that she decided to divide it into two sections. One half of the room is occupied by a large desk, with all the usual components expected out of an administrator's office. While the other half is something of an extension of the waiting room, featuring a couch, high stools and tables, a wine rack and a cooler for refreshments and food.

Seeing that this looks like a casual visit, Nikita moves for the three of us to sit by the windows, far from where she conducts her work.

The two girls start conversing, smiling as they talk. I glance at Sonis as she boots up Nikita's computer from the other side of the room.

Our eyes meet. The blonde secretary smiles, leans forward and mouths "royal guard." before returning her attention to the computer screen.

Ah, yes. Yui Isvell Inoue. The name does ring a bell.

The Inoue Nobility is after all, a family much like my own. They are a family of knights— proud, strong, and ancient. But while we are the second most powerful noble house, they are the first. While we are soldiers known for fighting on the front lines, they are a family of royal guards.

Royal guards are among the most dangerous things on earth. 

Nikita wasn't kidding when she said she was honored by this visit. Royal guards are often almost as proud as the kings they serve. And like their kings, they rarely pay attention to those of lesser standing. And as sad as it is, the definition of a 'lesser standing magus' extends to even nobles like us.