July 3, 2024

July 3, 2024

New York

"Young-shil, come on."

Ji-pyeong shook his head as the black and white hound stood with his front paws plaintively against a tree trunk. A squirrel was smugly staring down from the lowest branch safely beyond his reach. Ji-pyeong tugged gently on the leash until Young-shil finally relented with a whine. And then they resumed their walk.

The sun already hinted at the heat to come. Madison Avenue was quieter than usual on the eve of a holiday long weekend. Mi-rae was sound asleep when Young-shil nudged his arm impatiently this morning. Ji-pyeong gave in to his demands, took him on a run, and then stopped by the market on a whim for provisions. Shopping to make breakfast on a Wednesday morning while whistling to that Red Velvet song that still made him smile felt like a declaration of independence.

It's so good to be home.

Ji-pyeong swung the grocery bag as they rounded the corner of 92nd Street and drew in a deep, satisfied breath.

His shares were sold. The press conference announcing the transition of Birdhouse's leadership was a resounding success. Mi-rae had informed Burke Zucker of her departure in tandem with Chris's retirement. The firm was eager to support their new endeavor (with the barely veiled hope of reaping the publicity and future clients). A New York Times interview in which Ji-pyeong and Mi-rae outlined their plans for Atlas hailed them as visionary mavericks. It was met last week with a flurry of investment inquiries, pledges of support from the New York legal community, and positive press coverage.

"Good morning, Ji-pyeong!"

Alicia was walking from the opposite direction. She waved at him, the wide sleeve of her red and blue sundress billowing enthusiastically. Her face was barely visible under a giant straw hat and Jackie O sunglasses. Alicia looked as if she was wishing him bon voyage from the bow of a cruise ship. Roosevelt's little legs were a blur as he bounded ahead to greet Young-Shil.

"Hello, Alicia!"

Ji-pyeong beamed at Mrs. Blanca. He would never forget the way that she had hugged him so unexpectedly when he returned hand in hand with Mi-rae.

"What time are you all heading out to the Hamptons?"

Ji-pyeong glanced at his watch.

"We're going to check out a potential site for Atlas first, so probably around eleven."

Ji-pyeong offered his arm as they turned to climb the steps. Alicia smiled as she folded her hand around his extended forearm.

"When do the grandchildren roll in?"

"Friday! Thank you for letting them stay in your apartment. I will see them so much more now this weekend!"

"It's the least we could do for all the times you take care of Loki!"

Ji-pyeong lovingly scratched Young-shil's head before following Alicia into the elevator.

"So then what's the plan for the fourth, Alicia?"

Alicia removed her sunglasses nonchalantly.

"Oh I'll probably watch the fireworks on tv. Ford invited me to a grill out on the roof but I don't know ..."

Ji-pyeong bit the inside of his cheek. But he lost the bid to keep his smile at bay.

Alicia swatted his arm.

"Oh don't start!"

Ji-pyeong laughed loudly and then dutifully bowed his head as they stepped out onto their floor.