Chap1: Ending with a Bang! (sample chapter)

a\N: Hello new reader! *waves enthusiastically*

This is the first chapter of the second book of The Lost Boys trilogy, called The Lost Girl. It is a sample chapter for you to check it out and if you enjoy the read, you can purchase the book in the links posted here:

https://liliancarmine.wordpress.com/buy-the-book

Enjoy! x

.........................................................

Chapter One

Ending with a Bang!

I walked backstage with my ears ringing and heart thumping hard in my chest. It was always like this after every show we did; the rush of blood to my head made me feel like I was having a wild hallucination.

I never understood why so many of our musician friends needed drugs to get through a concert. I got all the rush I needed just by playing; hearing the crowd cheering and singing our songs at the top of their voices was enough. By the end of each of our shows, I felt as high as I could get. And I knew all my band felt the same way. Especially Harry and Sam - it took them a long time to calm down after our concerts.

I could still hear the crowd screaming as I walked backstage. Harry was tagging right behind me, jumping around and being as wild as usual.

"That was pretty outrageous, eh? This last show was raging!" he said loudly. Even this far backstage we could still hear Josh coming to the end of his drum solo, and Seth starting to say his goodbyes to the crowd.

"Yeah, it was insane!" I yelled back, but Harry couldn't hear me over all the noise. He wrapped his sweaty arms around me and landed a smacky kiss on my cheek, and then let go of me as suddenly as he had grabbed me, whirling away like my own private hurricane.

Tonight had definitely been special. It was our last show of the tour and it had ended with an epic bang! And the crowd had been amazing. I had mixed feelings about the tour ending: even though life on the road could be very exciting, we'd been away from home for a long time.

Three years ago, my band, The Lost Boys, and I had been graduating school and our only worry was finding a way to keep Tristan with us.

I had met Tristan, the love of my life, in a cemetery, one fine winter's day in December the previous year, and had fallen in love with him the second he'd flashed me his incredible smile. It had been love at first sight for both of us.

He had the most stunning gray eyes I'd ever seen in my life. They shone with a silver edge around the corners, reflecting the sunlight in a mesmerizing mercury pool.

To begin with, I didn't know he was a ghost; he kept that a secret and I only discovered the truth during a New Year's celebration when we accidentally performed a spell that brought him back to life.

But Tristan's ghostly past brought us many complications, and we found ourselves fighting for his very existence. We had a year - our last year of high school - to find a way to keep Tristan in the land of the living. For a boy who was originally alive during the 1950s, he actually adjusted remarkably well to twenty-first-century living.

However, nothing could have prepared any of us for how successful our band became after we finished school. We landed a record deal soon after graduation and launched our first album by the end of that year.

The Lost Boys grew bigger and bigger in our home country with each passing year, and the release of our second album even looked likely to take the band to an international level of fame. That was what we were hoping for.

Tristan was living the dream with his second chance at life, cherishing every single moment. Our first year together had been an intense, scary rollercoaster, what with magic spells, the supernatural bond between us and the struggle to keep him alive.

In the end, I struck a deal with Death - or, as I liked to call her, "Sky" - to get him back, and now he was safely in my arms. I not only had the most incredible, beautiful boyfriend - albeit an ex-ghost - by my side, but also the best band-mates of all time as well! My beloved geeky singer, Seth Fletcher; my goofy guitarist, Sam Hunt; my warrior drummer boy, Josh Hart; and my lovely bassist, Harry Ledger.

Life couldn't get any better than this!

All these memories flashed through my mind as I followed Harry through a dark corridor towards the back security door that would take us outside to our tour bus. The walls around us shook a little with the vibration of all the stomping and shouting the crowd was still doing at the front of the stage.

Harry started talking excitedly to our personal security guards, Johnson and Jarvis, while we waited for the rest of the band to join us. It was sort of a tradition for us to leave the stage one by one, rather than en masse. Normally we'd then hang around to give the fans a little attention, sign some autographs, or allow them to take a few pictures, but today the crowd outside the venue was so dense, Johnson had insisted we head straight off after the concert.

"It's just a precaution, Miss Gray," he'd said reassuringly, after noticing my worried expression earlier.

Big Johnson, as we called our giant, muscled head of security, still insisted on calling me "Miss Gray", no matter how many times I had told him to call me Joey. He'd been with us for over two years now, and his cousin Jarvis had joined his team a year ago.

Jarvis wasn't as tall or as impressively built as his cousin, but he was still big enough, with a habitual steely expression that most sane people would take as a warning not to get in his way.

I pulled my orange hoodie over my head, trying to prepare myself for the short but difficult walk to the bus. I could already hear the noise of overexcited fans waiting outside the exit door; it sounded insane!

As we continued to hover anxiously by the back door, Josh and Sam caught up with us, but Tristan and Seth were still finishing up onstage, delivering their final, parting words of the show.

Jarvis opened the security door and rushed out, with Harry tagging closely by his side. As soon as the crowd realized one of The Lost Boys was in close range, the noise doubled in intensity. I hesitated for a second, but Big Johnson's towering presence reassured me that everything would be all right.

I smiled up at him before running outside, where a voracious sea of screaming faces and bright flashes engulfed me in a blazing explosion of sound and light.

(end of sample)

~::~

Thank you for reading the first sample chapter of The Lost Girl.

To buy the book, go to: https://liliancarmine.wordpress.com/buy-the-book/

All links to purchase the trilogy are in the blog page! ;)

Thanks for supporting my lost boys and my books!

Keep rocking,

Lily x