19.

Hayden

I wake up in a warm and cozy bed and as I look around I realize that I'm in Mr Nelson's bedroom.
But how did I get here?
And where is Mr Nelson? And where did that other guy go?

I stand up and walk towards the door when I suddenly hear something.
It seems to me that Mr Nelson and that man are having a conversation. But what are they talking about?
I get curious and get closer to the door so that I can hear better.

"So, I wanted to surprise you, but then my ex came, and you know the rest..."

It gets quiet for a little bit, but then I hear Mr Nelson's voice.

"Hey, buddy...come to daddy."

I get shocked at his words. What the hell is going on? Did he just call himself daddy to that man? I'm so confused right now...
But then it hits me.
Oh, so that's what their relationship is like...
I sit down with my back towards the door while a lump is forming in my throat.

I don't even know why I'm sad all of a sudden.
How can I be sad over something that wasn't even real?
I mean, I'm not his baby and he's not my daddy. It never was that way either. I'm just here because I don't have anywhere else to go and Mr Nelson took me in because he felt sorry for me. There's nothing more to it.

I take a shaky breath and feel as tears start to fill my eyes.

How stupid of me, to think that I was special...

Owen

"Shh, it's gonna be okay." I whisper while I'm holding a crying William in my arms. "You are safe with me. Okay? I'm not letting him hurt you ever again. I promise."

I stroke him gently on the head and on the back while slowly swaying back and forth until he calms down.
Then I lay down and cuddle him instead because it's been a long day, and I'm too tired to sit up any longer.
"I'm actually not comfortable with leaving you alone after what happened today, so you can stay here if you want." I say after a while.

"R-really?" He asks with his voice being a little hoarse.

"Yes, I would actually prefer if you did. At least for tonight."

As I say that, he buries his head into my chest and cuddles up to me even more. If that's even possible. It's like he's building his nest inside my arms.
"Thank you..." he says quietly and I can't help but smile at his cuteness.

After one more minute we decide to get up and get something to eat. I tell William that he can go to the kitchen without me because I need to check on Hayden first. Maybe he has woken up and is also hungry now.

I open the door and immediately get a little scared because what I find is an empty bed, but then I hear a sniffle. So, I turn my head to the right and find Hayden sitting all huddled up in the corner behind the door.
I walk over there and crouch down in front of him.
"Hayden... what happened?"

He doesn't answer. He doesn't even look at me. Instead, he sits there silently while looking down on his knees and then wipes away a tear that falls from his right eye.

I reach out my arms and try to hug him, but he just pushes me away and then rushes out of the room.
I immediately try to catch up to him but he runs into the bathroom and locks the door behind him.
"Please, Hayden... talk to me." I plead."Tell me what's going on."

He isn't answering me this time either. All I can hear is sniffles and whimpers behind the door.
This makes me sigh in frustration because I'm tired and I don't know what to do.

"Okay... if you don't want to talk with me right now, then that's fine. You can talk to me when you're ready. But you should know that I'm here for you no matter what. And for now, I'll be in the kitchen if you need anything." I say calmly before walking away.