Blade 1: Buried Secrets

CHAPTER 1: Buried Secrets

A/N: Here's Name by Goo Goo Dolls for this chapter

You can run. You can hide. But, you can never leave your secrets behind.

-Aehr-

_________________________________________________________________

"Whatever you're most comfortable firearm with is the best choice."

Hugh introduced her to the operation of both the Madsen LAR and the Heckler and Koch 416 . Meg held and scrutinized both then decided to have the Heckler and Koch 416.

"Your weapon will be 7.29 lbs., 686 mm, of personal defense. It carries a 30-round magazine."

Meg saw Hugh didn't just handle the weapon, he caressed it. She could see that it was much more than a tool for him. She watched him disassemble and reassemble the gun without once looking at it.

"It takes a lot of time to look at the actuality of slaughtering. Society keeps us separated from the butchery of our food, from the dying of our loved ones. I'm not into slowing the introductions. I have to shock you into his world because where you're going, you might have to do what you're constitutionally and socially conditioned no to do. Kill another human being. Or more than one. And you have to do it automatically, with no forebrain interference. No judgments. Not a single thought. And it will leave you disturbed." He said that straight to her eyes while his hands were busy with the rifle.

Hhmm, he's really good at his job.

He fired the weapon without warning and it shocked Meg back on her heels.

"That," he said from their crouched position, "is lethal might. It's not in the movies or video games. They can work to desensitize you, but to use this for its intended purpose, you need to do just that. Apply it."

Hugh halted from his position before looking her up.

"Shoot that tree." He ordered as he handed her the gun.

Meg started to stand and position herself for an aim.

"No. Don't stand, don't aim. Just point that and fire."

She followed his instruction. The gun had less kick than she'd expected, but the bullets came out so fast he had to grab it to stop her from emptying the magazine.

Hugh continue in giving her a lesson on the parts of her gun, how to field-strip it, clean it properly and put it back together. They did it over and over and over again.

After she went through the process about a dozen times he made her do it blindfolded. She couldn't. He straddled the table, his knees against her thighs, and his hands on her hands. He helped her find the parts, take them down and put them back together.