The Last Chapter: Stellarlune

Everyone started screaming at once.

"SILENCE!" The woman—Elysian—yelled, "I want to talk to the leader."

"That would be me," Lady Gisela said, smoothing her tunic and stepping forward, "Indeed, I—"

"Don't lie to me," Elysian sighed, "I'm not blind, it's obvious everyone here hates you. Hmm. It seems their group does not have a leader yet. Ah, well. She is who I want to speak to."

"But I—" Lady Gisela argued.

"Silence!" Elysian held out her hand like a stop sign. Lady Gisela tried to keep speaking but no sound came from her. "What is your name, child?"

Sophie didn't love the condescending tone, but she told the mysterious woman, "Sophie."

"Hmm. Okay. Before we go on, I want your son here," Elysian said, "I hear we have things in common." She turned to Lady Gisela and muttered something under her breath. Lady Gisela's eyes widened as she stomped for her trolls. Sandor and Keefe appeared, disheveled and covered in dirt. Sophie ran towards them to make sure they were okay.

"What's going on?" Keefe muttered.

"She says she's Elysian," Sophie whispered back. Keefe sucked in a breath.

"Okay," Elysian announced, "Since I don't know if you all are murderers or something, I just want to warn you that I can do what he can do." She pointed to Keefe.

"What does that mean, you can make people do whatever you want them to simply through speaking?" Keefe joked.

"Where do you think your mother got the idea?"

Now it was Sophie's turn to gasp. That shouldn't be possible. And how would she be the power source? But...it did make sense. How would Gisela know what to do to give Keefe his powers? Sophie looked at Keefe. He had a determined look on his face.

What are you thinking, Sophie transmitted. And what do you need?

Stall was the only reply.

"Why are you telling us so much?" Sophie asked, suspicious.

"I guess because I've been cooped up for so long. And if you found me, you must already know most of the truth."

This was obviously not true, but Sophie needed answers, so she didn't argue.

"Well you're Elysian. Are you still the power source?"

"You think I am the power source? Hmm."

It was clear she wasn't going to say any more so Sophie asked, "Why are you hidden here?"

"The council decided I was too dangerous, so they hid me."

That was enough to snap Lady Gisela out of her silence.

"Come with me," She said to Elysian, "And I can give you revenge on the council."

"No!" Sophie cried, "Don't go with her! She is a murderer!"

"Don't worry. Believe it or not, I don't hate the council for locking me here. Yes, they did not have my best interests in mind, but they did it to protect everyone. And that is as good a reason as any. To be honest, I'm just glad they didn't instead decide to just kill me. But I knew they could not hide me forever. I told them that someone would find out, but they didn't listen. They insisted that I could be hidden forever."

Sophie glanced back at Keefe. Apparently Gisela was so surprised that someone could not want revenge that she had not noticed Keefe sneak up behind her. He held up the dagger, closed his eyes, and swung.

Sophie clenched her eyes shut as a squelching sound filled the building. Gisela let out a horrifying scream.

Sophie opened her eyes. Keefe was not holding the dagger. His face was blank, looking away from Gisela. Gisela was lying on the stone ground, motionless. Dead.

Gisela is dead.