24

Bucky and Nessa made their way back to Brooklyn, New York.

Nessa glanced at Bucky. "Are you ready?"

He shook his head. "No. But Sam was right."

"I'll be waiting right here."

He nodded as he walked up to Yori's front door and knocked on the door.

Yori opened the door and asked, "Hey, what are you two doing here? It's late, come in before someone call the cops." Bucky entered and Yori closed the door behind him. "What are you and Nessa doing here? It's not Wednesday."

Bucky replied, "I, uh, I have to tell you something. About your son." He sat, pulled off his glove to reveal his Vibranium hand. Yori sat as well. "He was murdered."

"What?"

"By the Winter Soldier." His voice shook as he whispered, "And that was me."

"Why?"

Bucky inhaled before replying softly, "I didn't have a choice."

He left.

Nessa walked up to Bucky and said quietly, "I'm proud of you."

Bucky met her eyes and his expression turned to one of heavy guilt. He fell into her arms and Nessa held him tightly as she listened to his soft cries. She pulled him closer and ran a hand through his hair.

After a moment, Bucky said, "Thank you, Ness."

Nessa continued holding him and said softly, "I love you, James."

"I love you too, Ness." He placed a gentle hand on her stomach. "I can't wait to meet you, little one."

She smiled as she placed a hand on his and placed her other hand on his cheek.

The next day, after dropping off a gift bag and card for Dr. Raynor, Bucky and Nessa, who had an arm linked around Bucky's left arm, walked the streets of Brooklyn.

They passed Izzy's and Bucky and Nessa looked in the window to see Yori sitting at the bar. Nessa caught Leah's eye and smiled.

Nessa glanced at Bucky and asked, "Would you like to go in?"

Bucky stared at Yori and slowly shook his head. He took Nessa's hand, squeezing it gently.

---

Sam made his way to Baltimore to make a visit.

He walked down a familiar street in Baltimore and up to a front door. He knocked on the metal screen door of Isaiah's home.

Eli opened the door and asked, "What do you want, Black Falcon?"

"Hey, you need to learn some manners," Sam told him.

"He ain't a Falcon anymore, but he's still black," Isaiah said, motioning for Sam to follow. Sam sat in the garden as Isaiah tended to his plants. "I saw what you did out there. And it seems, so did everyone else. I heard the GRC was standing down on those plans of theirs, so you must have done something right. I ain't gonna lie. You're special."

"Thank you."

"I mean, you ain't no Malcolm, Martin, Mandela, but..."

"No argument there." Sam chuckled with a nod. "But I know what I've gotta do."

"So, a Black Captain America, huh?"

"Damn right."

He chuckled lightly. "The fight you taking on ain't gonna be easy, Sam."

"Yeah, I might fall. Shit, I might die. But... We built this country. Bled for it. I'm not gonna let anybody tell me I can't fight for it. Not after what everybody before me went through. Including you."

Isaiah's voice shook as his expression softened. "Shit. I almost bought that."

"Man, do you ever lighten up?"

"Nope," Eli replied, standing on the back porch. "Mm-mmm."

Sam chuckled and gently hit Isaiah's shoulder. "Hey, why don't you clean up. There's, um... somethin' I wanna show you."

Isaiah glanced at Sam and made his way inside.

Eli leaned over the railing and asked, "So, uh, where we going?"

Sam shook his head, keeping his plan a surprise.

As soon as the two were ready, they made their way to the Smithsonian exhibit.

---

Isaiah and Eli remained quiet as they strolled through the exhibit.

Sam led them to another room where he'd had them place a statue of Isaiah and the history of what he'd done for the country. Isaiah and Eli looked around while Sam stood back and waited.

After a moment, Isaiah walked up to Sam who nodded and said, "Now they'll never forget what you did for this country." The two shook hands. "Never." Isaiah hugged Sam tightly and Sam smiled.

---

Bucky and Nessa made their way to Sam's. Bucky held a cake and the kids ran up to him and pretended to fight him. Bucky ducked with a smile. Nessa looked at Bucky and smiled, pleased to see him in such a good mood. She hadn't had as much time with him as she'd liked, so any time with him, especially when he was happy, was a treasure she had vowed never to take for granted.

"Oh! There they are!" a man said.

As Bucky and Nessa walked up, they asked, "Where is everybody?"

Sam hugged Bucky, then Nessa.

They enjoyed an afternoon of food, drink, and conversation. Nessa kept looking at Bucky, pleased to see a wide smile on his face. He returned her smile with a soft expression.

Bucky and Nessa spoke with Sarah and the kids hung on Bucky's Vibranium arm, which he no longer had covered.

Sam, Bucky and Nessa stood on the dock, watching the sunset. After a moment, they walked back to the others. Sam placed an arm around Bucky's shoulders and Bucky took Nessa's hand.

Bucky glanced at Nessa and asked, "What are you thinking, doll?"

"Nothing much," Nessa replied. "The sunset, a life of peace, and all that is to come."

"It's pretty damn amazing. You know, I owe a lot of that to you and the baby, Ness."

"You do?"

"Yeah. You bring me back. You're my rock when things are going wrong and I can always count on you when I need you most."

Nessa smiled softly and said, "I suppose the same could be said of you for me. I love you, James."

"I love you too, Ness."

Sam smiled. "The two of you are sweet. Come on. Let's join the others."

Bucky gave Nessa's hand a light squeeze as they followed Sam.