12 ~ Cake

Jade watched out of the corner of his eye as his brother and his girlfriend cuddled. Floyd's arms and legs were wrapped around her and he held his phone so the both of them could watch whatever was playing on it.

It was strange. Jade found himself anticipating the next time the prefect would come out from being under the influence of Floyd's love potion. His mind went back to the time they had briefly spoken when she asked about his terrariums. She was so kind. Full of laughter. Genuinely interested in what he had to say, even when he rambled on and on.

She was still plenty polite while under the influence of the potion, but she was less intriguing. Had less of a personality, as though a part of her was replaced with being Floyd's girlfriend. He didn't care to get to know her while she was in love with his brother, just as she didn't care to get to know him. But when she wasn't affected by the potion...

He pinched the bridge of his nose and closed his eyes. There was no point in entertaining these thoughts now. It would be another few days before the potion would come undone. Approximately three, if he was calculating correctly. He had more important things to worry about.

Jade wordlessly exited the room. He couldn't stand to be in the same room as them right now. He felt anger boiling within him. He didn't want to think about what exactly was making him angry. He didn't want to come to the inevitable realization that he would eventually have to accept.

Perhaps he would go bother Azul to distract himself in the meantime.

The screen of Floyd's phone went black and he blankly stared at it, unmoving. He was snapped out of his trance by his girlfriend, her laughter rippling through and disrupting the silence of the room.

"What are you just staring at it for?" She asked. "That's not gonna recharge it."

His expression turned into a smile and he began laughing as well. He tossed his phone to the foot of his bed and pulled Yuu closer, resting his face in the crook of her neck.

"I don't need my phone as long as I have my Lil' Shrimpy," he giggled against her skin as he pressed a tender kiss to her neck. "The way you laugh is so cute~"

She continued to laugh as he attacked her neck with affectionate kisses and squeezed her from behind. She didn't mind his squeezes; normally, when he 'squeezed' people, it was to hurt them, but with her, he was gentle. He hugged her tight enough to express his affection but gently enough to not harm her. She was his delicate Little Shrimpy, after all.

He finally pulled back from his onslaught of affection, giving her cheek a final kiss as he loosened his hold on her. "Are you hungry?" he asked with a wide grin. "I bet you're hungry."

"I mean, I guess, kinda?" Yuu answered, turning so she could be facing him.

He held up a finger before shuffling through his snack collection and instead of bringing out candy or chips as Yuu was expecting, he pulled out a whole cake.

Another fit of laughter struck her and Floyd beamed proudly at her. Every time he made her laugh was a victory for him. He was hardly haunted by the fact that this was only possible because of the potion anymore.

He reached onto his desk and moved around a few things before uncovering and retrieving two plastic spoons, causing more laughter to erupt from Yuu, and an even brighter grin to appear on his face.

"How did I not notice the cake?" she spoke, coming down from her laughing fit. Taking the spoon from him, she turned it in her hands, observing it. "These are clean, right?"

Floyd stuck out his bottom lip in a pout. "Of course they're clean! What do you take me for?" He attempted to look upset, but the smile curling on his lips betrayed his true feelings.

He removed the plastic lid and stuck his spoon into the cake. Yuu hesitantly followed suit, though she had her reservations about eating a cake this way. "This feels like a crime against humanity..."

"Don't let society tell you that there's a right or wrong way to eat cake, Shrimpy! It all goes to your stomach anyway!" Floyd exclaimed.

Yuu let out a laugh. "You know, etiquette technically says you're supposed to eat cake with a fork."

"Humans are weird. Who comes up with rules on how to eat?" As if to prove a point, he sloppily shoved another spoonful of cake into his mouth, very much lacking decorum.

"Don't ask me, I didn't make the rules. Do merfolk not have rules of etiquette?"

"I dunno, that's more of a Jade question. If we have etiquette, I never paid attention to it."

"Of course you didn't," she chuckled.

Floyd furrowed his eyebrows. "Hey, what's that supposed to mean, Shrimpy?"

"Nothing, nothing. You know, apparently, there's etiquette for how you place silverware?"

"Apparently?" he grinned. "Who's the one not paying attention to etiquette now?"

Yuu held up her hands in surrender. "In my defense, I've never been to a formal dinner before!"

He let out a laugh. "Y'know, I did actually know that though since Azul makes us set up all the utensils at the lounge a certain way. It's so dull..." His eyes shifted over to Yuu's cheek, which had a smidge of frosting on it. "Aw, Shrimpy, ya can't even eat properly without getting frosting all over your face, huh? Maybe I should feed you~"

She quickly moved her thumb to her face, swiping at the spot with the frosting. "There's not even that much!" She cried with indignation, glancing around to look for a tissue.

"I'm better at being a human than you are, Shrimpy," Floyd cackled. He held out his tissue box to her but quickly retracted his arm, getting a better idea. He took her outstretched hand and licked the frosting off of her thumb, then handed her a tissue. "Now you can use the tissues~"

Yuu felt her cheeks flush and she glanced down at her hands, wiping off his saliva from her thumb. "You're so weird..." she murmured, a soft laugh escaping her through her nose.

"Upgraded promise bite~"

"Is that what that was?" Yuu asked, raising an eyebrow. "Should I give you one too, then?"

His eyes widened slightly at her response and he jammed his thumb into the cake before holding it up to her. "Oh no~ There's cake all over my thumb and I don't have a tissue~ Whatever shall I do, Shrimpy~?" He drawled, an impish grin never leaving his face.

She rolled her eyes and handed him a tissue. "Found you a tissue."

"You're so mean, Shrimpy!" he wailed, pouting as he cleaned off his thumb. "We're not dating anymore!"

"Please," she laughed, "You can't even go a day without seeing me."

He moved the cake to the table and wrapped his arms around her again, peppering her face with kisses. "That's just 'cause I like you a lot, even though you're super mean to me all the time~"

"Is that what's going on here?" She chuckled, running her hand through his teal hair.

"Mmhm, mmhm," he hummed against her before pressing a soft kiss to her lips. "I love you, Shrimpy."

She gave him a warm smile, returning the kiss. "I love you too, Floyd."