Chapter 57

MIA

I stared at Lorenzo wide wide eyes, guilt rushing through me at the sight of him. He looked extremely flustered, and I knew that I was an idiot for leaving. I wanted to do something nice for him though, and I honestly thought that I would have made it back to the house in time.

I should have known Lorenzo would have found me within minutes though.

"Jesus Christ, Mia," Lorenzo muttered, running his hands through his tousled hair and groaning. "Sarai la mia morte."

I obviously had no idea what Lorenzo had said, but I had a feeling that the sentence wasn't meant for me, and he was just trying to let off some steam. Speaking Italian always seemed to calm him down a little bit, and I wasn't sure if it was because he could practically say anything he wanted and nobody would be able to respond or he just enjoyed confusing people.

"I'm sorry," I spoke, gulping.

Lorenzo raised his brow at me, making his way over and dropping to his knees before me, causing me to cock my head at him.

"Mia, I cannot and will not lose you again," he said, his voice shaky. "Please, and I beg you, please don't disappear like that. I almost had a heart attack. I thought you had been taken again."

I felt awful, realising I had acted impulsively, trying to prove to myself and others that I could still be independent. But, the fact of the matter was that neither Lorenzo nor I were ready for that right now, and that was okay.

"I just wanted to get you something to eat," I told him, leaning out of my chair and taking his hand, my fingers tracing his calloused palms, pressing down on the hardened skin.

"I know, baby," Lorenzo told me, sighing, and I could tell that he was mustering up all of his strength in order to not freak out on me, although I deserved it.

"Your food is ready, Luna!" called the elderly lady from her stall, and I turned to her with a red face, feeling foolish for ordering. I should have waited until Lorenzo was out of the shower and we could have gone together.

Lorenzo got up from his knees, bracing his hands on my wheelchair as he did, and I could tell that it took real effort for him to move in such a way. He trudged over to the stall and took the food, thanking the lady, offering her some money from his back pocket.

"Let's get home," my mate told me, pushing my wheelchair forwards with one hand, but, my eyes were still trained on the small crusty looking building dotted at the tree-line. The guard was studying us, his face morose looking as he met eyes with his Alpha, and Lorenzo took a deep breath, peeling his gaze away.

"What is that?" I questioned, causing Lorenzo to stop pushing my chair.

I could tell that he was uncomfortable, and he shifted his weight from foot to foot, grinding his teeth together.

"Lorenzo?" I asked, my voice timid. He looked frustrated, but, I was intrigued. The building looked intimidating despite its small size, and I wanted to know why there was a guard standing in front of it.

What was in there that was so precious? What did they want to keep people away from?

"The cells." He released a loud huff, biting at his bottom lip.