Chapter 46

MIA

I had been sitting in a puddle of freezing cold musty water for hours now, the ceiling above me beginning to drip at a more frequent pace, indicating to me that it was most likely raining outside and the water was getting through somehow.

I was shaking, the temperature dropping in the cellar dramatically, goosebumps arising along my skin, and I had to curl my body up in an attempt to keep warm.

Lorenzo and I were currently waiting for Ophelia to come and see us, the witch Greg left with earlier having said she would be down. 

By now, I was hoping that the witch who had accompanied Greg was dead, or at least unconscious, and Greg was on his way back from receiving our pack. But, a part of me was terrified that he had failed his mission, and had been killed by the witch.

If she returned, claiming to Ophelia that Greg had attempted to murder her, I knew I would break, all hope of escaping being lost instantly.

The sight would most definitely entertain Ophelia.

I bit down on my bottom lip as the creaking of the wooden door up above us echoed throughout the room, and Lorenzo nodded at me, reassuring me it was going to be okay. We just had to stick to the plan.

I nodded back, quickly snapping my eyes away from him, settling them on a tired looking Ophelia, dark bags under her eyes, her skin pale and gloomy looking.

"I apologise for my disappearing act," she said, her face laced with humour. "I've been working on a spell for your little heartbroken friend so I can get him off my back. He's quite persistent."

I knew that she meant Caspian, and I gulped after hearing his name. I hated how she used him to torment us. She knew how much it meant to us that he had betrayed his own.

Ophelia had clearly been practising her dark magic over the past couple of days, it looking as if the spell wasn't going the way she wanted, and I wondered if she had promised something to Caspian that she couldn't actually provide.

"You look like shit," Lorenzo spat, his mouth turning upwards into a smirk, and Ophelia glared at him, shaking her head.

"Well that's what practising magic does to you," she jeered back, her voice venom-like.

"No, that's what practising dark magic does to you," Lorenzo corrected her, and Ophelia shrugged, turning away from him.

"Well I'm still stronger than you right now."

My mate cocked his head, scoffing, causing Ophelia to arch her eyebrows at him, not enjoying the attitude he was giving her.

"You know, I liked you better when you were on the brink of death," Ophelia snarked, shuffling herself along the floor so that she was a little bit closer to Lorenzo. She attempted to peer down to have a look at his wound, but it was covered by his blood-stained shirt.

"It's not oozing pus anymore if that's what you wanted to know," he said, kicking his legs out in order to try and shoo her away. I could tell that he hated her coming near him.

"Charming," Ophelia muttered, shaking her head, clasping her hands together and making her way towards me. She sat cross-legged on the floor, making me furrow my brows at her.

I wanted to speak to tell her to piss off and leave us alone, but Greg was due back any minute, and we needed Ophelia down here in case she heard or spotted our pack approaching.

We needed the upper hand of surprise, so Lorenzo and I needed to keep her distracted for as long as possible.

"How did you find Caspian and what did you promise him?" I asked, and I saw Lorenzo nod at me from behind Ophelia, encouraging me to question her. We were hoping that she would decide to tell us and waste her time reciting a story.