Her Romanian Beast- Chapter Twelve

Twelve

    In the morning, the storm ends. I redress us both before someone starts looking. I know they’d be looking for her. Her father would demand it. Most fearing they’d find her dead within the forest.

    My head snapped over to the snow covered entrance. I could hear shouting far beyond the entrance. They were getting closer. Coming up from the school as a start.

    I made sure my scarf was in place before lifting Calista up into my arms. I was thankful that her sweater covered the mark. I didn’t want any of the villagers more pissed than they are already going to be seeing her in my arms.

    I kicked the snow away from the entrance making sure none got on her. There was still a bit of snow trickling down from the sky. Just a dusting now. Not the torrent that coated the whole mountain last night.

    “Over here!” I shouted for anyone to hear.

    I trudged through the two feet of snow toward the commotion. Calista stirring only slightly in my arms before drifting off again. She was exhausted from everything. The cut on her head was small now because of my marking.

    I sighed seeing Calista’s father running the best he could toward us. Relief painted all over his face even when he stumbles into the now one foot of snow amongst the thicket of trees.

    “Thank heaven.” He said as he touched her face. “She’s alive!” He exclaimed as he started to sob with tears down his face.

    I nodded. “I found her hurt out here. I tried to make it to shelter, but the storm forced me into a cave. I managed to keep her warm with a small fire.”

    “Oh baby. What were you thinking walking home out here?” He asked.

    I looked up and as I expected. All the villagers we were out here looking were glaring at me. My beast flashed his eyes in warning. Some squared their shoulders at me in response. Others took a step back.

    Calista’s father tried to take her but he faltered. “Maybe it best I carry her. You must not have slept a wink this night, no?”

    Her father nodded. “Just so worried about her.” He looked at me with gratitude. “Thank you for what you’ve done.”

    I bowed my head before he turned away. I followed him as the others looked on. I just raised my chin in pride as they grumbled. They didn’t like it, but there was nothing they could do about it.

~Calista’s Point of View~

    I breathed. I knew I did. The forest somehow hadn’t claimed me. That the snow hadn’t buried me to be discovered in the spring. I was alive and knew that.

    But how was I alive?

    It took me some time to open my eyes. The first thing I saw was a dark figure at the window. His arm resting head level against the stone window casing. His back was to me.

    But I knew who it was. Beastly. I frowned at myself. All these weeks and I never have asked what his real name was. Always felt too shy to ask.

    I involuntarily took a deep breathe and blinked. One moment Beastly was at the window and now he was at my side holding my hand in his. I blinked passed the blurriness of my eyes to see him fully.

    He touched my face as if I were glass. His scarf was hanging looser than normal. My eyes trailed it seeing the corner of his lips. “How you feeling?” He asked. His voice sounded a bit deeper and huskier.

    I blushed lightly as I nodded. My heart picking up a bit of speed at his closeness and concern. “Thank you.” I swallowed hard wondering where that came from.