01. Pilot

22 years from cold open, almost three months later from prologue

A knock sounded on Austin's front door. He looked in the peephole and grumbled before opening the door.

"I'm out, Dean," Austin said.

"Dad's missing."

"Maybe he took Jim, Jack and José with him on a Miller Time Shift. Why should I jump back in?"

"Dad went on a hunting trip and hasn't returned."

"How long ago?"

"Three weeks."

Austin sighed and nodded. "Fine. I'll help you. But Tucker is coming with me, and after this hunt, I'm out."

"Understood. Hey, I'm sorry about Laura. You holding up okay?"

Austin shrugged. "As good as can be expected, I guess. Listen. Do me a favor and put Tucker's seat in the Impala."

"Where's your car?"

"Mechanics. She completely died on me and I'm hoping they can fix her."

Austin went to pack a bag for himself and Tucker, then went to get his son who was just waking from his nap.

"Hey, little man," Austin said. "Uncle Dean's gonna take us on a little adventure, okay?"

"'Tay," Tucker said tiredly.

"Did you have a good nap?"

Tucker nodded and was changed, then the father and son left.

---

As the brothers drove, Austin asked, "I assume you're getting Sam. But how exactly do you plan to recruit him?"

Dean shrugged. "Same way I recruited you."

"And if he says no?"

"He'll say yes. Eventually. You two can't resist me."

"Check your ego, dick."

Eventually, they reached their destination and the brothers opened a window and snuck into an apartment. Tucker had fallen asleep in his car seat.

Dean opened the window and clinked the beer cabinet. He and Austin walked past the string at the far end of the hall. Dean hit his hip and let out a quiet hiss.

Sam, who had been woken up, moved to another part of the apartment and waited as Dean and Austin entered the room.

Sam lunged forward and grabbed Dean and Austin's shoulders. Dean and Austin knocked Sam's arm away and aimed a strike at Sam, who ducked. Dean grabbed Sam's arm, swung him around, and shoved him back. Sam kicked and was blocked before being pushed into another room. Sam got a glimpse of Dean and Austin, though he didn't immediately recognize the fact. Dean and Austin elbowed Sam in the face and Sam kicked at their heads. Dean and Austin ducked and swung, but Sam blocked them. Dean knocked Sam down and pinned him to the floor, one hand at Sam's neck and the other holding Sam's wrist.

"Whoa, easy tiger," Dean said.

Sam breathed hard. "Dean?" His eldest brother laughed. "You scared the crap out of me!"

"That's 'cause you're out of practice."

Sam grabbed Dean's hand and yanked, slamming his heel into Dean's back and Dean to the floor.

"Or not," Dean said.

Sam tapped Dean twice where he had him.

"Get off of me," Dean demanded.