00

August 2, 2005

Laura coughed and turned to her husband. "Austin, it's too soon. I'm not ready."

Austin tucked her hair back. "I know, honey, but Tucker and I are gonna be just fine. I promise."

She smiled weakly and nodded. "I know you are. What did you tell me on our first date?"

"It was more in line as a joke, but I told you Midwest boys are built tougher."

"But you weren't wrong." She coughed again, this time coughing up blood. "Austin?"

"I'm here, Laura. I'm not leaving your side."

"Can you bring Tucker in?"

"You sure?"

"I wanna say goodbye to our son."

Austin nodded. "Okay. Hang in there, baby." He went to get Tucker.

Tucker was standing up in his crib when his father walked in, and smiled.

"Troublemaker," Austin teased. "Hey, Mama wants to tell you something."

At the mention of his mother, Tucker's smile got wider and Austin felt his heart breaking at what soon would happen.

He pulled Tucker from the crib and made his way to the master bedroom.

Laura smiled. "There's my boys."

Tucker held his hands out to his mother, and she took his hand.

Laura coughed before saying in a raspy voice, "Mama loves you so much, Tucker. Daddy too. And I'm gonna be looking down on you both from above."

She erupted in a coughing fit and Austin set Tucker down before gently lifting Laura's head and helped her drink some water.

"Get some rest, Laur. And if it's time to go, it's okay." He kissed her forehead, then her chapped lips. "I love you."

"I love you, too."

Three hours later, she breathed her last, her husband and her son by her side.

Silent tears fell down Austin's cheeks. After composing himself, he called the coroner and final preparations for Laura's funeral began.