Chapter 9

The ending of another year caught up to me faster than expected. Lisa thought it would be a great idea to host a New Years Eve party with family and friends. Addison had given her permission to access the rooftop for the evening as long as the noise was kept to a minimum. I was currently in my room getting ready but was overall struggling with what outfit to wear.

*Ring, ring*

*Ring, ring*

"Hello?"

"Ash? I need your help, does this look good?" I say positioning the camera so she can see. Ash was the person I ran to whenever it came to an outfit crisis. She was my number one critic and my number one hype woman. "Holy shit! You look so good!"

"Really? You think?" She nodded her head aggressively and picked up the phone bringing it close to her face to inspect my outfit on a more detailed level. "You got me drooling over here. I can't wait to see you in person." She ended her statement with a wink and blew me a kiss. I acted as if I caught it and placed it on my lips in return. "You're such a flirt. I'll see you soon, bye."

"Bye, love!"

Now I know my outfit was up to par since I had Ash's approval. I finished off my hair and makeup and took one last look in the mirror. "Damn, I do look good..."

"Y/N LET'S GO WE'RE ALREADY LATE AS IT IS!" Rob was my "escort" to this party and I had been keeping him waiting longer than I should have. I didn't feel bad though, it takes a lot to look this good. "I'M COMING, JUST WAIT A MINUTE!"

I grabbed my phone and a hoodie then ran out of my room meeting up with Rob so we could head out and make our way up. The roof was the perfect spot to watch the fireworks. It even had the space to hold some chairs and a table for food and drinks. Lisa had invited some other tenants but they declined, all saying that they were busy with other things which seemed weird to me.

To access the roof, we had to climb up a fire escape which was located out a window on the fourth floor. The building was made without stairs so in case of an emergency, we'd all be screwed. When we got to the roof, most of the people were already here. Larry was helping Lisa put up the last bit of lights, Todd was talking with Neil, Chug and Maple were off in the corner, and Sal was laughing at Larry who was struggling to balance on a chair.

I decided to talk to them all a bit later and made my way to the edge of the roof and sat down with my legs dangling off. The night air raised goosebumps across my skin, luckily I brought my hoodie. Though it was chilly, it was better than being in a stuffy apartment tonight. Last New Years I spent it inside and alone. My parents had left the house in a hurry claiming they were needed someplace else so I brought in the new year with some microwaved pizza.

As I sat on the roof, I watched the stars in the sky kind of just off in my world. A few minutes later I hear heels clicking behind me. I turned and was met with Ash who was wearing a purple sparkly bodycon dress with a pair of silver heels to match. She looked gorgeous as always. "Woah, look at you!" I say in astonishment.

"Thanks love, you look amazing too!" She then sat down next to me and stared up at the night sky as well. "Although, I'm about 2 seconds away from throwing these things off the roof," she said, gesturing to her shoes. I laughed and placed my head on her shoulder. "I agree, anyways how are you? I feel like it's been a while since we talked in person."

"I'm pretty good, I started looking at colleges, specifically art schools." She said with a hint of sadness in her voice. Just like how New Years caught me by surprise, graduation is gonna do the same. "You're looking this early?"

"Yeah I mean, junior year has been going by pretty fast and before you know it, it's gonna be over. Then we have a senior year which is gonna go by twice as fast. And finally, it's time to head to college." Ash had alway been so sure of herself. She knew who she was from an early age and knew exactly what she wanted from her life. Sure she comes off as laid back, kind of mirroring Larry, but she's actually been working hard to achieve the life she's always dreamed of. I turned to look at her. She had a saddened expression on her face but hid it behind a light smile.