Prologue

"Do you remember life with him before?"

Of all the voices in her head, this one was the loudest; the only one she could focus on.

"Before what?"

"The incident...? You must miss him so much. I know loss can be hard to deal with."

"Miss who?"

"Sal Fisher?"

"I-"

"Y/n it's time for your dinner and nightly meds," nurse Anne called out from the hallway. Suddenly, Y/n's head was quiet, and it hasn't been that way for a while now.

Sal Fisher...

August - 1992 {Y/n  Pov}
The clock had just struck 2 am when we finally arrived in town. After spending 15 hours on the road, the thought of sleeping in an actual bed brought joy to my heart. I swung my backpack over my shoulder once I stepped out of the car and waited for my father to park. My new home stood five stories tall in front of me. Addison Apartments was what it was called; such a pretty name for a questionable looking establishment. Yeah that seems fitting, especially for a town called Nockfell.

I turned and grabbed a box of my things from the car to take up to the new place. Dad opened the door for me, seeing that my hands were full, and we made our way over to the elevator healing up to the fourth floor, room 401. I'm actually excited because I'll get to be living with an old family friend, a guy I basically call my brother.

"Rob said your room was ready to set up. Go on up and get started while I get the rest of your boxes," my dad said, pressing the elevator button for me. He then took off leaving me in the unstable elevator making my mind jump to the what ifs of it falling or shutting down completely. But before I could spiral any more uneasy thoughts of dying in an elevator, the doors opened revealing the fourth floor to me.

The tan walls that contrasted with the brown wood paneling gave nursing home vibes. And what really struck me was the fact that all the apartment doors were green. Yeah big nursing home vibes for sure.

I made my way down the short hallway until I reached a door that was left slightly open. Since it was 401, I let myself in and called for my brother, "ARIEL!"

"Yo, how many times I gotta tell you to not call me that." Rob emerged from the bathroom and walked over to me giving me a hug. "Hey little sis, long time no see."

Rob wasn't actually my brother since we weren't blood related, but since I basically grew up with him, I treated him like my brother and he treated me like his little sister. We both agreed that being siblings was better than him being an uncle or something since according to him that made him feel old. Dude was only 25, he's ways away from being considered old yet.

"I mean what else am I supposed to call you, your name? That's boring." Rob took the box from me and walked into what I'm guessing is supposed to be my room. Soon after, dad came up with more boxes and placed them into the room as well.

"So, what's been going on?"

"Oh y'know, death, depression, having to move, and never being able to sleep – the usual. What's up with you?"

"You're still not sleeping? I thought they took care of that," he says with a worried look on his face. I've always had problems sleeping ever since I was a baby. I've been to doctor after doctor and they all said the same thing, insomnia. But I know it's much more than that. The pills they prescribed help sometimes but overall, they're basically useless. I still take them though so that my dad doesn't worry or think that he's wasting his money.