𝑇𝑊𝑂.

———𐬺༺❀༻𐬺———
The Roommate.
———𐬺༺❀༻𐬺———

Even from where Lilac sat she could make out the sterling grey of Miss

Even from where Lilac sat she could make out the sterling grey of Miss. Hills almond shaped eyes.

The fluorescent lights suspended from the ceiling emitted a soft, halo-esque glow around the elegant red-headed woman. Her hand, embellished with sparkling silver rings, displayed perfectly manicured cherry-painted nails that gleamed in the soft luminance.

"I will keep this brief as I understand that many of you are eager to settle into your rooms," she warmly stated, adjusting the rings on her slender fingers - a nervous yet refined habit that Lilac had keenly observed. "This school year, we are pleased to welcome a few new young ladies to our academy, and I would like to extend a gracious welcome to each of you. Here at our academy, we are dedicated to providing an expectational education to all of our students, and we are thrilled to have you join us."

As the speech continued, Lilac struggled to focus on the woman's words, her mind filled with swirling thoughts that made her ears ring with discomfort. The enigmatic woman's presence left Lilac feeling uneasy and puzzled, as she had never encountered anyone quite like her before.

A sudden nudge from her right side broke her reverie, her father, aware of her tendency to get lost in thought, tenderly grasped her icy, delicate hand in his much larger one and gave her a firm squeeze as a reminder to stay focused.

Lilac gently withdrew her hand from her father's sweaty grasp and shifted her gaze towards Valeria, who responded with a warm smile. With graceful movements, her left leg crossed over the right, clasped hands resting on her knee. Delicate gold jewellery adorned her fingers and wrists, adding a touch of elegance to her young demeanour.

As sterling grey met jade green eyes, Miss. Hill offered Lilac a gentle smile, her eyes shining with warmth. The eye contact lingered for a full five seconds before Lilac averted her gaze, feeling her face flush as she struggled to catch her breath.

The abrupt sound of applause startled Lilac, her heart palpitating as she stood up along with the rest of the audience, her eyes fixed on the woman who vanished behind the velvet, red curtains.

"So what did you think?" Valeria asked, as she smoothed out the wrinkles on her white knitted sweater.

Lilac released a weary breath as she glanced around the bustling auditorium. The space was filled with girls of various ages, their enthusiasm palpable in the air. The positive atmosphere made Lilac feel guilty about not wanting to be here.

Having attended five different schools within the span of six years had significantly heightened Lilac's anxiety in social settings, rendering her more reserved and timid compared to her peers. Her introverted nature was primarily attributed to her struggles in making friends, along with the fact some teenage girls can simply be unkind and unwelcoming.