CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN

NEXT MORNING AT GROSVENOR SUARE

Eleanor was at breakfast with Lady Susan and the girls when Prout entered and presented Eleanor with a salver on which was a large package.

    ‘This was delivered by hand a few minutes ago, Miss Wellesley,’ Prout said. ‘I did not see who delivered it.’

    ‘Thank you, Prout,’ Eleanor said, taking the package which was quite heavy, and laid it on the table.

    ‘Well, aren’t you going to open it?’ Cecilie exclaimed. ‘It might be from a secret admirer.’

    Eleanor smiled. ‘I doubt that.’

    Dorothea craned her neck to take a closer look.

    ‘The seal is quite large,’ she observed. ‘And it has an interesting looking stamp on it. Oh, open it, do!’

    Eleanor looked more closely at the seal. In the centre of the sealing wax was the mark of a stamp forming a large letter Q.

    Mr Quipp! Eleanor snatched up the packet and with trembling fingers broke the seal and unfolded the parchment.

    Inside were legal looking documents and she recognised the deeds and other documents of ownership belonging to CharnockPark. Mr Quipp had kept his word.

    ‘Lady Susan, look!’ Eleanor exclaimed in high excitement. ‘The documents of ownership of CharnockPark; I have them back! My home is once more mine.’

    Lady Susan looked astonished. ‘But how have they been recovered?’ she asked. ‘I thought they were lost to you for ever.’

    ‘They would have been,’ Eleanor agreed. ‘Were it not for my very good friend, Mr Quipp. He is a remarkable man.’

    ‘Well, this is very good news,’ Lady Susan said. ‘And most gratifying.’

    ‘I must consult with Lord Birkett,’ Eleanor said. ‘I am certain all is in order, but Lord Birkett can confirm it. Oh, Lady Susan, I am so happy!’

Eleanor sought Lord Birkett later and found him in his study. He was as astonished as Lady Susan had been.

    ‘Undoubtedly everything is present and in order,’ he said on examining the documents. ‘To be on the safe side I will ask my man of law to examine them this afternoon. Congratulation, Eleanor. Your father’s property has been restored to you.’

    ‘Yes, it’s wonderful!’

    ‘A word of caution, though,’ his lordship said seriously. ‘Managing the several estates entailed in these deeds will be a task for a man, Eleanor. You cannot hope to do this yourself.’

    ‘I am aware of that, my lord,’ Eleanor said. ‘But for the time being I can think only of returning to my home, the only one I have ever known.’

    ‘Then when the time comes or until you marry,’ Lord Birkett said. ‘Do not hesitate to ask for my help.’

In the early afternoon visitors arrived. Lady Pike was announced by Prout together with her eldest daughter, Annabella.

    ‘Phoebe, how well you look,’ Lady Susan greeted her oldest friend, Lady Pike. ‘And you, Annabella, are absolutely sparkling.’

    ‘That is because Annabella is betrothed to me,’ Jeffrey Warburton exclaimed merrily as he walked in on the ladies’ heels.

    ‘Good gracious!’ Lady Susan said, staring. ‘How very wonderful. Does your father know?’