CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

AT MRS VALLENTINE’S ROOMS

‘Could we cover it up with a sheet, Mr Quipp,’ Mrs Possimer asked. ‘It gives me the fair shivers to see him lying there, and all that blood.’

    ‘You are right, Mrs Possimer. We must not be callous.’

    When Mrs Possimer returned with a sheet, Quipp placed it over the body.

    ‘I have been wondering, Mrs Possimer,’ Quipp asked as he did so. ‘What you intend to do after we have taken Mr Granville for all we can. Your share will be a tidy sum, I think.’

    She looked at him in some surprise.

    ‘I had no idea I was to have a share.’

    ‘Well, although I normally work alone,’ said Quipp with a smile. ‘In this case you and Jake have been valuable partners. It is right that you should profit.’

    ‘I have really no idea.’

    ‘You will be able to set up your own household,’ Quipp suggested. ‘An independent woman of means.’

    ‘You mean leave Mrs Vallentine’s employ?’ Mrs Possimer frowned, and looked doubtful. ‘I do not think I should do that.’

    Quipp smiled. ‘I had fancied you would say that,’ he said. ‘You have grown fond of her.’

    ‘Mrs Vallentine is not a bad woman, Mr Quipp, for all her loose ways,’ she said. ‘Merely imprudent. Her beauty is her downfall, and I fancy she never had a mother’s guidance in her early years.’

    ‘And you would remedy that?’

    Mrs Possimer’s cheeks flushed. ‘Sophie Vallentine needs me I feel, and perhaps, Mr Quipp, I need her; the daughter I never had.’

    ‘You have a good heart, Mrs Possimer.’

    At that moment the outer door opened and they heard movement in the hall.

    ‘Leave everything to me,’ Quipp said quietly. ‘And back me up in anything I say.’

    The door of the drawing room was thrust open and Frederick Granville strode in. His face was dark with anger, which made the scar stand out vividly.

    ‘What is the meaning of this impertinent summons?’ he demanded to know. ‘You send this filthy wretch to my house and demanded my attendance. How dare you?’

    ‘Calm yourself, Mr Granville,’ Quipp said soothingly. ‘Murder is a matter of some import, I think.’

    ‘Murder!’

    ‘In cold blood.’

    ‘What are you talking about?’

    Quipp stepped aside and revealed the sinister looking form on the floor. He took the edge of the sheet and drew it away.

    The sudden exposure of the bloodied body made Granville start back in horror. ‘My God! That Lord Langdon. What happened?’

    ‘Mrs Vallentine shot him dead, in cold blood, Mr Granville. It’s murder.’

    ‘I don’t believe it! Where is Sophie? What have you done with her?’

    ‘After the shooting Mrs Vallentine retired to her bed,’ Quipp said. ‘Mrs Possimer was given to believe that Mrs Vallentine expects you, sir, to take all responsibility in the matter.’