6. Binding Venom

CHAPTER 6

Sitting at my desk, I stare at the bite marks on my left wrist. It didn't hurt at all, never realizing that the tiny punctures healed so quick.

Mike walks past my cubicle with a pile of papers under his arm, and I quickly pull down my sleeve. I don't want people finding out I have a blood agreement with a vampire. The others didn't associate with vampires except for Billie with her boyfriend, Max. But Nikolai isn't my lover. This is strictly business. A very peculiar one. But people won't understand. They'll pass judgement on me because of their hatred of vampires. The enemy. The same judgmental thoughts I would've had days ago.

I sigh and take off my headphones. Feeling a little guilty about my animosity towards vampires. But I had a great reason for it. They took something precious from me. Like the hooded vampire. Complete monsters that kill and destroy what you love most.

But there is Nikolai. He's different... or is he?

I don't know what to think. I will keep my guard up. I can't give all the benefit of the doubt to a five-hundred-year-old vampire.

Work is slow tonight. Not much calls come through this evening. I stand up and stretch out my arms from sitting for over an hour. I walk to the coffee stand in the office corner and grab a mug, waiting for the coffee machine to brew.

Gazing out of the window, I overlook the town sparkling with lights. The faint whisper of the sun setting on the horizon. The once scary thought of the night seems beautiful now. It was the first time in years I admire it.

My mind filled with thoughts of Nikolai and him awaiting me.

"Hey, Isla." A sultry voice says behind me. Billie rubs up against my shoulder and reaches for a mug from the shelf. Her DKNY perfume wafts in my nose. "I hadn't talked to you all afternoon after running late coming to this shithole. Mr. Simmons gave me an earful."

I weakly chuckle. "Yeah, I heard earlier." I pour out the black coffee into my mug, Billie does the same. "According to him, fifty girls would kill to fill our spots," I huff.

Billie scoffs, "Oh please, half-bald bastard." She rolls her eyes. "I doubt girls would kill for the night shift since they could be killed themselves."

I sigh and nod, agreeing with her. But my mind drifted to the vampire, whom I freely gave blood to. Instantly, I felt Nikolai's bite in me. His fangs sinking deep. The pleasing sting it had. Billie side-eyes me and a sly smirk sweeps across her face.

"Sooo?" she nudges her elbow lightly against my arm. "What did you think of the mixer? And don't think I didn't see you walk out with that hot vampire, Missy." She gives a cheeky wink, making my cheeks burn. I bite back a nervous smile and shake my head.

"We made the agreement. My blood in return for his protection," I say under hush tones, watching behind me if any of the three guys were listening in. But they all worked behind their desks, oblivious to our vampirism conversation.

"That's great you found the right one." She smiles. "There's some that struggle with a match."

"We're not a match, it's just business." I correct her.

"Yeah, sure." Billie nods and turns her back against the counter, leaning as she sipped on her hot coffee. "Just be careful, okay?" Her voice drops lower. "They're slick." Her mascara eyes give me a warning look.

I frown and stop stirring the three spoons of sugar in my coffee. "What do you mean?"

Billie draws closer. "Let him only drink from your wrist. Don't let him drink from your neck... or other intimate areas." She raises a brow.