3. Give and Take of Blood

CHAPTER 3

"Ouch!" I hiss.

I observe a blob of blood trickle from the prick on my left thumb. The nurse smiles as she tests my blood. "Clean as a whistle. O positive and no Fading Fever virus." Her eyes wrinkle as she grins.

Giving a tight smile, I'm not so sure if this was a good or bad thing right now.

I stand with a queue of people pricking their thumbs in front of three desks, with a nurse sitting at each. The mixer event is in the next hall where vampires and humans will integrate. Huffing out, I shake my head. I still can't believe I dragged myself up here.

"Please give me your hand." The nurse instructs, and I reach out my hand. She wraps a dark green paper band around my wrist and wedges it closed.

My eyes study the band when she releases me. Nothing was on it besides the color.

"You're free to go to the mixer, dearie," the nurse said. "Just turn left into the next hall." She points out with her finger.

I nod and grip my bag tight against my abdomen, sucking the excess blood from my thumb. I drift to the well-lit hall ahead, my skirt flowing behind me. Two eager ladies brushes past, giggling amongst themselves as they dash into the hall. But I am anything but eager. Breathing in and out, I stop just before the entrance, trying to peek inside. Dreading to see vampires.

I think I might get a panic attack.

"What the hell am I doing, Isla?" I ask myself. I came close to being sucked to death by a vampire a few nights ago and here I am preparing to give my blood freely to one. It makes little sense. A debate in my head beginning.

I'm trying to get away from vampires. And here I am, walking right to them! I scold myself as people flow into the halls from the nurses' desks. And now they'll know the humans whose blood is healthy on top of it.

"This is a damn trap." I grit my teeth. "And a big mistake!" I turn on my pumps swiftly towards the exit.

"Isla!" A soft and warm hand touches my elbow and grasps it. Turning my head, I see Billie. "I knew you'll be here." She smiles.

"Billie," I say, stunned. "I'm heading out. I shouldn't have come. I think I'm changing my mind."

She raises a well-manicured auburn brow. "Nonsense, you're here for a reason. Don't back out now or get scared." She holds firmly on my arm and guides me to the vampire's den. "There's nothing to worry about."

I shake my head, trying to push back, feeling my heart thumping with every step, but Billie is firmly behind me, urging me forward. I seem to be the only one not fully convinced about this, not sharing the other's enthusiasm. Why are the other humans excited? Do they like to be freaking bitten?! I guess they never had a loved one taken from them by a vampire. I grimly think.

I grimace and try to turn around for a second time. Anxiety pools in my belly like a whirlwind, and my mouth becomes dry.

"No, no, no! I changed my mind. I can't do this, Billie," I plead.

"Isla, take it easy. The fear is more than the danger here, okay." She assures.

But I don't believe her. Honestly, I'm scared shitless. Like, I might actually shit!

My eyes grow with anger. "What? A vampire attacked me last night for my blood!" I grit my teeth and spew the words in a low tone.

Billie creases her eyes, looking concerned. "Exactly why you need to be here. You need to fight fire with fire." She stresses. "Get the proper information. The organizers are giving more details around the give and take of blood."