Chapter 31

Athiri whined, licking her hand when she got off the horse. They had been riding hard for most of the day, only taking breaks when she noticed the Hayvan's energy waning. Now, finally, the terrain was flatting out and the vegetation was thicker and darker; a sure sign that water was close by.

 Leyla looked up at the sky, following the low and straight flight of the birds; they must be near a main branch of the Blue River which ran through the Greenlands, feeding its orchards.

"We'll go on foot from here!" Toke said, confirming her suspicions. It wouldn't take long before they were at the outpost that 'needed protection'. The burlier of Toke's subordinates jumped from the horse he had been sharing with his comrade and moved towards her. Athiri growled low, making the Warrior hesitate.

"Shh, it's alright boy," Leyla scratched the felines ears before handing over the borrowed stead's lead to the hesitant Warrior. It was no bad thing for the men to be wary of Athiri, they were much less likely to get close to him that way. Nevertheless, she was going to need the Hayvan to stay settled and out of the way once the fighting began, so fostering the enmity was also not a good idea.

"Don't approach with your hand on your sword handle if you don't want to agitate him," she advised.

The Warrior's brows rose at the unexpected advice, before he gave her a swift nod.

They both started walking then and Leyla found herself matching her steps to the long strides of the tall Warriors around her. Twigs cracked under their boots, sending forest animals scampering; since Toke wasn't worried about stealth he must be aware of not only the timing, but also the direction from which the Bone Eaters were going to launch their attack. She needed some of that intel to decide what to do with Athiri.

Moving closer to Toke, she asked: "Is this Bone Eater attack a retaliation?"

The Warrior shrugged, his eyes on the trees up ahead, "Perhaps."

Alec's men had been actively hunting Bone Eaters, so revenge could have been a motivator. But, seeing as Toke was being purposefully vague, and this was a planned operation not a random raid, something bigger was afoot. Leyla had assumed as much, after all why else would Shik attack the outpost guarding the main gate to Kingstown...unless... "Is the Green King sick?"

Toke's step faltered, then he looked over his shoulder with a frown, "For a boy who was mute not long ago, you are sure asking a lot of questions."

"For someone who is requesting my help, aren't you answering too few?" She pointed up, over his head. "The sun will set soon, so I'm guessing we don't have much time before the Bone Eaters make their move. Tell me the things I need to survive, unless your King intends for me to die in this battle?"

Toke's frown deepened, then he began to move once more. "Ask."

How many Warriors are at the outpost? Who is in charge of the defence? How many Bone Eaters will attack? How many are archers? From which direction? The questions ran through her mind, but they weren't what truly mattered. The Warriors would have a plan laid out for the quickest possible defeat of their enemy, but they would follow a different strategy to allow for her test to take place.

"How many Bone Eaters will you pit me against?"

This time Toke came to a stand still, his laughter shocking the Warriors on either side of her into stopping.

"Protector, you really are something," Toke grinned, looking back at her once more. "Truth? I don't know. The Captain of the outpost is in charge of leading the operation." Then his gaze touched on Leyla's sword, and the bow hooked to her back, "But if you fighting skills are as sharp as your mind, I'm sure you'll be able to handle it."

She could feel the gaze of the Warriors to her sides as she took in his words, "Then may I make a request?"

"Go ahead," Toke nodded solemnly.

"When the time comes, let me borrow your sword."

Alec's guard gaped at her as if she had grown two heads. "You want my sword?"

"It's sharper than mine," Leyla gestured towards the weapon on her belt. "I'll give it back to you once it's all done."

Toke's arms folded over his chest, "And if you don't make it?"

She would make it. No Warrior test was going to get the better of her. Nevertheless, she shrugged, "Then take it off my dead body."

"Hah!" This time Toke was joined by the other Warriors in his bought of laughter. "Alright, I'll grant your request. Now let's keep moving. We are almost there."