Chapter 16

After all the bodies were burned and the bones buried, they headed back to camp heavy with the scent of death. The women stayed as close to Leyla as their fear of Athiri would allow while the Hayvanis walked ahead, seeming to realise that the females could not stomach their nearness.

"Protector," Liam hung back from the group leading the way. He had not said anything to her since handing her the scarf...perhaps it had taken him this long to decide on how to react.

The typically light hearted Liam wore a serious expression now, his voice hushed as he got straight to the point: "Who are you hiding from?"

"It's not your concern."

"Right," he muttered, running a hand through his dishevelled hair. "You're right, but it bloody well doesn't feel that way...Listen -"

"No," Leyla stopped and looked into his surprised eyes. "You listen. You're surprised. I understand, but you will soon realise that what you saw has changed nothing. I am still who I was before. And just like before, you don't need to mind my business. Now, step back, the women are uncomfortable."

Liam's eyes narrowed, but his gaze moved to the group behind her. Catching the fear in their expressions, he sighed before turning to rejoin the Hayvanis up ahead.

Darkness fell just as they reached camp. The Hayvanis who had made small fires around the inner settlement stood as they approached, their eyes taking in the group of women with curiosity. Leyla did not slow her step as she walked through their settlement and scanned the area. "Malia!"

The woman rushed over from where a group of people were hanging wet clothes near a bonfire. "Protector?" Her gaze landed on the women huddling behind her, her eyes growing wide, then narrowing when she noticed the torn state of their clothing.

"They are scared..." Leyla began.

"Leave it to me," Malia nodded, then she was stepping forward with a smile on her face. "Come, let's get you warm." She began leading the group towards one of the three bonfires where the children were eating from intricately carved Hayvani bowls. It really was a boon to have someone reliable like Malia around.

Giving a quick pat to Athiri's soft head, Leyla looked back. The Hayvanis who had come with her were back on their side of the camp along with Liam and were being offered bowls of food. Good. Dealing with the bodies had not been easy; they needed some rest and nourishment.

"Come on, Athiri," she whispered, heading for the Sage's shelter. She found him checking on a young Hayvani man beside a small fire someone had built next to Kaya's shelter.

"Feremiti la sarak," the Sage spoke the Hayvani words with a gentle smile prompting the young man to stand. The Hayvani turned his blue-painted eyes in Leyla's direction, his tattoos shifting across his bare shoulders as he bowed to her with respect before moving away.

"You're back," the Sage spoke while stacking several bowls on top of each other.

"How is Kaya?" Leyla moved closer, not bothering to ask how he had known she was standing there; the man's senses were keener than most Warriors.

"She is getting better every day, don't worry," the Sage said evenly and Leyla realised she wasn't worried, because he was the one taking care of the little girl. When had she grown so certain of his skills?

"We brought back six women," Leyla began, but her voice trailed off. What she was going to ask for was unheard of, but maybe...maybe if it was him... "They were used by Bone Eaters. Do you have medicine to stop them from being pregnant?"

The Sage's easy smile disappeared and he sighed, "Have you eaten?"

Eaten? "How is that important right now?"

"It's important," he tipped his head up, shadows playing across the white material that covered his eyes. "If you faint from hunger, I am the one who will need to take care of you."

"That will not happen," Leyla frowned, trying to keep her patience. He meant well, but she was too tired for his badgering: "Just tell me if you can help. They've suffered enough, having to deal with a baby - "

"Protector," the Sage stood, brushing dry dirt from his otherwise immaculate clothing. "You don't eat. You don't rest and you smell like burnt flesh. I will help, but only if you do what I say."

"So you can help?" Leyla's eyes widened with surprise. She hadn't really believed it could be done, but this was truly good news. The thought of the women continuing to suffer because of those bastards had been making her skin crawl with fury.

"Of course you only hear that part," the Sage muttered shaking his head. Then he sighed and continued. "I can make a tonic, but there's an ingredient that is difficult to find -"

"I'll find it," Leyla cut him off. "Tell me where to get it from and how much you need."

The Sage was silent for a long moment, then he nodded. "I will have Waru draw a picture of the plant, as for where it grows, Liam will know."

"He will?" Her surprise must have been evident in her voice, because the Sage laughed.

"Yes, well, Liam, like you isn't easy to place. No matter where I've moved, people seem to know and trust him. I've come across him several times over the last few years - like you, he has brought me both patients and procured medicine that was difficult to find."

Leyla listened to the Sage with a frown. Who in Gaia was Liam exactly? What was he after? Even as the thoughts ran through her mind she pushed them aside. That didn't matter right now, as long as he could tell her where to get the plant.

"Understood. Once you give me the drawing I will ask Liam about where to find it and leave at first light."

"Wait," the Sage held his arm out, stopping her from moving past him. "If you are trying to see Kaya, I would rather you didn't go near my patient smelling of death."

Flushing, Leyla took a step back. "Yes. Of course."

He moved his hand suddenly, touching her cheek with his brows raised. "Did I embarrass you? I did not mean to..."

Taking another step back, Leyla frowned. Why did it feel like he was treating her like a child? "I will come back for the picture."

The Sage lowered his hand, his soft smile back in place. "Don't come back without eating or I will not give it to you."

"Nag," Leyla muttered, petting Athiri as she turned away.

The Sage's warm laughter followed her for a long while.