𝐱𝐢𝐱. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐥𝐚𝐦𝐞

▶️ sometimes (backwood) - gigi perez

xix. THE FLAME

THREE MONTHS AFTER THAT

IT HAD BEEN ANOTHER THREE MONTHS SINCE THEA'S last encounter with Finnick. After that day in the cemetery, she had returned home and returned to her catatonic state of depression and despondency, though she started to work on herself. Thea spent her time either sleeping, judging herself or painting. Dennis had come over and told her that each victor is told to take up a hobby or talent after their victory and Thea chose painting which turns out she's pretty good at. It requires the same steady hold as a throwing knife and Thea had an eye for colours. Dennis had chosen meditation which shocked Thea. Because Jasper Dennis, meditating? Best joke she's heard in years. He also told her that Diana actually took up fashion designing and Finnick chose spear fishing with his trident.

The bottles all over Thea's house had multiplied by ten and she wasn't liking how her body looked at the moment, hence why she starting up a less-extensive version of her academy training. She would start to go out to her strip of the beach and practice with her trident. But in all honesty, she really didn't feel like doing anything. Thea wasn't just being lazy, she physically had no energy. She only ever got her motivation from drinking. Dennis was right... drinking does help.

But there were more pressing matters at hand. It was officially the month she went on her victory tour, meaning that the press would slowly start to infiltrate her life again. She would get to see Cicero which was some of the best news she's heard in a while because they can finally catch up on gossip. But wherever Cicero went, his favourite prep-team would also be. Thea missed having them around because they were all genuinely so sweet to her...unlike some who go and spill your secrets right after you killed fifteen people, lost your family and sold yourself, yeah, it's all great, isn't it?

Thea sat in front of a piece of parchment which was begging to be coloured, she had her colours lined up in front of her as she tried to conjure an image in her mind as to what she could paint. When her hand moved over the paper, it was almost like her mind was directing her hand without her, odd perhaps, but that's the way it was. Thea's hand moved instinctively to the right spot, building a new picture, often one she had never seen before. In this fantastical world she built on with thick layers of paint, she saw reflections of her own mind, the way she thought, but there is something else there too. She didn't know what, perhaps she was just imagining it, but when she paints, she feels like the ocean, lapping recklessly without a fear of ceasing. But she knew her fear would grow significantly as this was the day she left for her Victory Tour.

~~~~

UPON ENTERING VICTOR'S VILLAGE, Cicero, Gideon, Honour and Portentia grimaced at the fishy-salty smell that nipped at their nostrils, though District Four was their muse, and so they brushed it aside. Soline led the four in an unnecessarily puffy dress that made her look like a candied apple. Their attire was all different hues of blue and they all head some sort of trinket weaved into their hair. Cicero tried to run ahead of Soline so he could lead them; Cicero had always thought of himself as a leader, and he intended to live by that until the day he dies. "Stop, my little sea-trolls. Breathe it in-"