Bewajah

He had been sitting in the same position for the past five hours now. The doctors told him that it'd take some time for her to get conscious. Apparently, "just one more hour," and now that one hour had passed and she was lying there on the bed as if lifeless. All the color had gone from her face, and she was lying on the bed as if lifeless. She didn't look like his Umeed. In the past 5 hours, she should've bombarded him with five hundred rants and complaints. She should've fought him, and call him names but none of that happened. The last five hours made Farjad realize that he could not live without Umeed's rants, heck, he can't breathe without her.

More tears trickled down his eyes and he sniffed this time recalling the gruesome scene at Haya's wedding today. Haya's to-be-husband, Waleed who was no longer her husband thankfully, because she married Sameer was in debt. Till last moment he and his mother were after Umeed or more likely her money. When Waleed's attempt at marrying Umeed failed, he tried to sabotage the wedding but that ended up in a bigger disaster. The goons he lent money from came to the wedding and the bastard put the blame on Umeed saying that she had all their money, and they should ask her for it.

It was right in front of his eyes when one of them pushed her so hard that she fell down hitting her head on the pillar. Before he could do anything, one of them shot Umeed. And he didn't remember what happened after that. His world turned upside down and all he remembered was screaming Umeed's name and rushing towards her lifeless body drenched in blood. He didn't leave her hand throughout the hospital drive- begging her, pleading her to wake up.

"I promise I'll fight with you. I'll never instigate Pasha Saab against you, Please don't do this to me, I won't survive." He cried vehemently not realizing that the entire Pasha clan including his family were there to witness his breakdown. All of a sudden Farjad's world had stopped. The first time clock stopped working for him was when Umeed smiled at him and now today-.

"Would she ever know how much he loved her? Would she ever realize that she was the reason he had learnt to live life once again?"

"Please Umeed, don't give up on us. Don't leave me." He whispered in her ear before they took her to the ICU.

Thankfully, she was out of danger but it was bugging him that she didn't wake up yet. Her pale color was stinging him. He wanted to wake her up, feed her with all the food in the world including Chai to retain the vibrant colors on her face. He yearned to see her in her bright OTT dresses, not this bland hospital gown that reminded him of the fact that he almost lost her.

His fingers trembled to touch her. He had worked so hard in his life that he feared his calloused fingers would disturb his Umeed who wasn't use to harshness. But he needed to tell himself that she was fine, she was breathing. He caressed her cheek with her fingers reminding himself to never let her out of his sight ever again. He had to deal with Waleed and those goons but as of now, he only wished to see his drama queen back to life.

Every passing minute felt like a crushing magnet on his soul. Farjad remembered he didn't cry when his father passed away because the same day, he was sent to the office. Imagine. He came back from his father's burial and the first thing he was asked to do was check on some important matters in the office because his father's rivals were waiting to latch onto the unattended business.

He was scared of losing the people he loved, but he hadn't realized that the mere thought of not having Umeed Pasha in his life would ruin him. He groaned and buried his face in Umeed's hands.

"Please wake up."

On the other side of the door, two pairs of eyes were observing the scene. Pasha saab had a liking for his boy since day one but he never imagined of all the people in this world, he'd fall for his daughter. Farjad was right when he told Pasha Saab that he didn't know his daughter enough. And he actually didn't. He was so invested in his only son that he didn't realize that he not only ignored his daughter after his wife's untimely demise but kept on criticizing her actions. He had failed his daughter but that said seeing Farjad by her side, he felt at peace.

"I want to go inside," A tearful Haya came to Pasha Saab.

"No one will go inside. We all are going back home."

"But Dad Umeed?" A concerned Sameer uttered wondering if his father was now mad at Umeed and Farjad.

"She'll be fine. She is Fine in fact. We should leave them alone now. Come on." He assured Sameer and Haya and gave one last look to Umeed from the mirror, glad that his daughter found the right man who cared for her, at least way more than he had cared for his daughter.

.

"Ch.. Cha.. Chaii." He couldn't believe his ears. The gruesome wait had come to end, and Umeed Pasha was back to her senses. Only she could've asked for Chai after a near-death experience. A relieved Farjad who still had tears coming out of his eyes pressed his lips on Umeed's forehead. "Only you Umeed Pasha, Only you." He chuckled and looked at a confused Umeed who was struggling to open her eyes.

Farjad kissed her hand and looked at her lovingly, "How're you feeling?"

"Lovely." She taunted. Seemed like she was doing okay because she was back to being herself and it hadn't been long since she woke up.

"You nearly killed me."

"Wasn't it ME who was shot?"

"Does that make a difference?"

Umeed winced in pain but not keeping her eyes off Farjad. A whipped yet equally concerned Farjad cupped her face with his right hand and looked into her eyes. The intensity of his eyes shuddered Umeed. Was it real?

"I'd die if something had happened to you Umeed," He told her earnestly, his face barely inches away from her and if Umeed didn't know any better, he might've kissed her too.

"And Reena?"

"You're an idiot to believe I had my eyes on someone other than you. Use these big beautiful eyes for good."

"Did you just compliment me or scold me again." Were they back to fighting again?

Farjad took a huge sigh and closed the non-existing distance between them.

"I'm telling you Miss Umeed Pasha for once and all that I'm madly, deeply and pathetically in love with you. There's been no Reena or Meena in my life and never will be. And if you think about leaving me again, I possibly won't survive."

Umeed blinked and noticed that the man confessing his love for her was actually Farjad and for the first time ever it felt good to hear a love confession from a man.

Farjad broke her trance with a small peck on the bridge of her nose and saw her all flustered.

"Is this allowed?" She asked

"I think it is." He murmured and pressed his forehead against hers gleefully, thinking he had to thank his father in law personally for leaving them alone.

"Get me my chai because there's no way I'm confessing my love for you without having it." here she was, back to being Umeed Pasha. But Farjad didn't bother telling her that he need not to hear the three words from her. The fact she hadn't let go of his hand unknowingly since she woke up, and she clutched his shirt all this time was enough for him to know that Umeed trusted him, and she was never letting him go. Not this time!

End
I appreciate lots of comments 🌝 They make me feel good and motivated