34

Landon Reilly

If someone asked me how I ended up in Wren's car with three of his siblings in the back seat, including one that wants to murder me, I'd have no fucking clue what to say.

I knew it was a bad idea going to this game, but Coach basically made it mandatory. He wanted us to go watch Northeastern since we were playing them tomorrow because it was a 'unique' opportunity to be able to go watch them in person right before our game with them. Rojas and Shea dragged me there without me having much of a say anyway. I thought I had this figured out, that I'd be able to get in and out of there without being noticed by Wren and his family, but I was clearly mistaken.

And somehow I ended up getting roped into dinner with them. The car ride was filled with a long, awkward silence. I could only imagine how bad the mood would be at dinner.

I should have made up an excuse. I should have walked away. But it was too late.

Part of me didn't care about Fox knowing about us. If he tried to fight with me, I'd just cross that bridge when I got to it. But I knew it mattered to Wren for some reason, so it kind of mattered to me too by default. Even though I knew he wasn't as serious about us as I was.

Wren was tapping on the steering wheel as he drove, a nervous tick I had only seen from him once before. I hated that he was feeling this way because of me and there was no way for me to make it any better.

When Wren parked the car at the restaurant, Fox barely waited for the car to be fully stopped before he got out and stormed off. Wren's other brother in the back seat, who I assumed was Robin, let out a low laugh.

"This is going to be an interesting dinner," Robin said, glancing over at his sister.

"I'm so confused about what's going on," she said. This sister was not the one I met before at Wren's house.

"I'm sure you're not the only one, Raven," Robin replied, opening the car door and stepping outside. Raven followed after him, leaving Wren and I alone in the car.

"Wren, I'm sorry," I said once we were alone. It felt strange apologizing to him, like I was begging and pleading for his forgiveness.

"What for?"

"I tried to not be seen by you guys. Coach made the whole hockey team go watch Northeastern since we're playing them tomorrow."

Wren shrugged. "There's nothing we can do about it now."

I followed Wren as he got out of the car and walked toward the restaurant, his family already waiting inside. I didn't know what to expect from this dinner. Part of me thought Fox would cause a scene by the way Wren wanted to keep him in the dark about us. But with the way he was in the car, glaring at us and refusing to speak, I figured it would be more of that. Or hoped it would.

The family was already sitting down when we got inside, leaving two seats on the end of the table for Wren and me. Wren sat down beside Robin while I sat down next to him on the end, across from his mother. Fox was all the way at the other end of the table, which was probably for the best.

"I'm so happy you could join us, Landon," Vanessa said, beaming at me from across the table. "Get anything you want."

I looked down at the menu in front of me, skimming the entrees. Everything was expensive. Even the cheapest option was more than I wanted anyone to spend on me. Maybe this was where Wren got his giving tendencies from. He was always buying my coffee or my food, despite knowing I didn't want him to do that.

As if being able to sense my discomfort with the whole ordeal, Wren placed a comforting hand on my thigh, squeezing it lightly. His touch didn't completely eradicate my nerves, but it helped a little.