Chapter Fourteen

"Asteria! Wake up!" Someone yelled. I groaned, shoving my pillow into my face as Mor jumped onto my bed. "Get up! It's almost noon!" The blonde said, grabbing the pillow from my face and throwing it. I rubbed my eyes, trying to wake myself up.

I had hardly gotten a lick of sleep after the events of last night. I just hoped that Cassian had kept his mouth shut about what he had witnessed.

"It's Solstice! We have to get you dressed," Mor said, standing from my bed and walking to my closet. I sat up as she threw the doors open, revealing my collection of dresses, all gifted by Rhysand.

"This is pretty." She chirped, tossing a fluffy dress of a pink so pale it could be mistaken as the color of the white snow that gently fell through the sky. I raised an eyebrow at Mor.

"I do hope it's a bit more modest than the one you had me wear last night." I say, to which Mor chuckled.

"Oh it is. Though I must say, you got quite the stares. Especially from Azriel." I froze at the mention of him.

"Have you spoken to him?" I asked softly, carefully. Mor snorted.

"No. He's with Cassian and Rhysand, having their annual snowball fight." I didn't stop the raise of my eyebrows.

"Snowball fight?"

"They do it every single year without fail. It's tradition to them." The three most powerful and feared males in the Night Court, perhaps in all of Prythian, had an annual snowball fight?

"I know. Now get dressed, we should take a walk through Velaris." With that, Mor winnowed away, leaving me to change in privacy. I sighed, holding the dress up to examine it. It had a tight fitted bodice, with little ornamentation, save the small lace flowers that were only noticeable up close. At the waist, the dress exploded into layers of tool. At least they would warm me, and the long sleeves would as well.

I quickly bathed and put on the dress, which was more comfortable than I had imagined it would be. I combed my hair, letting it fall loose to my waist. Once I was finally ready, I dared to look at myself in the mirror.

When I did, I realized something in my reflection had changed. Not just the physical changes, the way my face had color and my cheeks were filled out, though that too stood out to me. But there was something else, something that was the same and yet... different.

Because when I studied y features, when I looked into my violet eyes, I no longer saw my father. I only saw myself. And I did not feel the need to immediately look away.

"Are you ready?" More called from outside my room. I turned around, wiping my face quickly. I hadn't even realized I had been crying.

"I'm ready." I said as I walked out of the room, finding Mor to be leaning on the wall as she twirled a strand of golden hair around her fingers. Her face lit up in a smile upon seeing me, and I felt a grin of my own rise to my lips. 

"You look amazing." She said as she linked her arm through mine. I laughed, telling her she looked even better.

...

It was a cold winter morning, all of Velaris covered in a fresh blanket of sparkling snow. And yet, I had never felt warmer.

The streets were filled with laughing children and happy couples, who all greeted Mor and I upon seeing us and wished us a happy Solstice. Almost every single house and shop was decorated for the holiday as well.

"I've never actually celebrated Solstice." I say to Mor as we walk through yet another street. She paused, turning to look at me with wide eyes. "Really?"