Chapter Six

Another two weeks flew by, and I found myself enjoying the company of the others, Mor, Rhys, Cassian and Amren even more. I learned many things about them.

Mor absolutely loved clothes, and dancing, and drinking. She told me that one day, she was going to take me to Rita's, a night club in the city. Her excitement for things rarely dimmed, and I found myself to almost always be smiling when I was in her presence.

Rhysand, was a born leader. His friends respected him, as did everyone in the city. He respected them too, and loved them more than I could even imagine.

Amren, though slightly terrifying, was actually hilarious without meaning to be. She was always insulting Cassian, Rhysand or Azriel, calling them Illyrian beasts or disgusting pigs. It was nearly impossible to contain a laugh.

Cassian, most of the time, made me want to punch him. He was always grinning, taunting, and teasing. I couldn't say I didn't enjoy it. 

I started to feel a bit better. I still flinched, still slept with the light on, still avoided my reflection but... I laughed. I began to allow myself to accept the kindness the others offered me, even though I knew I did not deserve it.

Azriel still hadn't shown. I pretended I didn't care, praying no one noticed when I looked towards the shadowdows in the corner of a room.

It was after lunch, and I was sitting on a couch, reading in front of the fireplace, on a particularly good chapter- the love interest and main character were screaming at each other in the rain, clearly about to kiss- when Cassian strolled in, throwing a huge sword at me, which I barely caught before it sliced me open.

"What the fuck?" I demanded. Cassian grinned.

"C'mon, lets spar. Azriel refuses to come up here, and Mor says she doesn't wanna ruin her hair. I already beat the shit out of Rhys, who finally agreed to let me test you out." Cassian explained. Azriel refuses to come up here. I shook my head, telling myself I didn't care.

"Or do you not know how to wield a sword? I would expect much more from the daughter of a High Lord, especially an oh so powerful one-"

"I do know how to use a sword, thank you very much." I snapped my book shut, holding up the sword. It was heavier than I remembered. I had put on some weight in the past few weeks, now that I actually ate a healthy amount, but due to my lack of activities, I had absolutely no muscle. I ignored the ache in my arms as I followed a grinning Cassian into the sparring ring.

"Go easy on me." I warned Cassian once we were in the ring, both in a fighting stance. I grimaced as I urged my knees to bend into a half squat, being sure to keep my torso upright. This used to be second nature to me, as it clearly was to Cassian. His grin only grew. "What, you out of shape?" He teased. I rolled my eyes.

"Yes Cassian, I am out of shape. I haven't done much exercise, you know, due to six years of imprisonment." Cassian laughed. I raised my sword, and the Illyrian did too. I was about to strike, when I felt it.

It was like he was a magnet, pulling all of my attention to him. I nearly gasped as I saw Azriel emerge from the shadows, watching us. His gaze locked on mine for a moment, his expression unreadable. I quickly looked away, looking back at Cassian. I struck.

Our blades collided, a loud sound echoing through the air as they did. Cassian withdrew his blade, slashing his blade out towards my stomach so quickly I barely managed to jump back and dodge it. I ducked as Cassian aimed another blow at my head. I gripped my own sword, using my feet to push me up as I aimed a slash at his arm. He hardly dodged it, surprise on his face.