Surprises

The elevator ride was painfully awkward, as Valora is still under the impression that Cato and I are in love. Making a point that I stand next to Cato, even mentioning that she "Wont look if we don't want her too!" since this is "our first reunion!" I honestly think this lady is going crazy. It might be from all that plastic surgery or something. Or maybe all Capitol citizens are like this. I hope not. Otherwise, this is going to be a very long week.

But Cato has also been acting very suspicious, like he knows something I don't. So I am going to get to the bottom of all this.

So when the elevator finally stops at our floor, I take the opportunity to snatch Cato and drag him upstairs. I go along with whatever theory Valora has about, "Leaving you sweethearts alone, to have some fun."

At the top of the stairs, I stomp along the landing and shove him into the bathroom.

He smirks and mutters "What have we here?" as the lock turns and clicks behind us.

I slap him viciously, leaving a red hand print on his left cheek,

"What's going on? Why am I supposedly in love with you?" I snarl.

He nervously looks around, as if to see if anyone's watching. After confirming he is safe to talk, he whispers,

"Alright, you know how we killed the 'Star-crossed lovers'?"

I nod. He continues,

"Well, apparently that news isn't going down well in the Capitol, especially with Snow. We kinda ruined everything. Apparently, they were supposed to win."

"And...? Who cares? We won! They can't do anything about it now! We're victors, for god's sake!"

"Shh!" He covers my mouth with his hand, "They could be watching us.."

"Seriously! Cato! If thats all it was, it doesn't matter! Let's go and eat."

I start to walk away, but he snatches my wrist and pulls me back to face him.

He inhales and exhales deeply. I can feel his warm breath brush along my cheeks.

"But..But there is something else as well. As you should know, the Capitol always gets what they want. They want a pair of 'Star-crossed loving victors'."

"Yes.." I gesture for him to continue.

'So we are the new ones."

"What?!" I splutter.

"We are getting married." He repeats, as if I'm dumb.

Anger bubbles up inside me.

"How long has the public known this?"I yelled.

"Since the night after we left the arena." He confessed, biting his lip.

"Aaarghh! How could you?!"

I'm totally blinded by rage. I start mindlessly throwing things. A porcelain jug, full of water, flies across the room. Then a loud crash echoes around the room, when a vanity door is forced of its hinges and falls to the floor.

Cato tries to calm me down, when he is only infuriating me more.

He grabs my shoulders and speaks to me softly, "Clove. Clove. Come on Clove, it's alright. It will be Ok."

But I just scream furiously and smack his arms away. "It wont be Ok, Cato! I would have let stupid Katniss kill me, if I knew this was to happen!"

Cato seems almost hurt at my words, but he quickly changes his expression, giving me his trade-mark smirk.

"I'm not that bad am I?" He sniggers.

He starts to slowly walk towards me, cornering me behind the door. I summon my most menacing glare and sneakily withdraw one of my knives from the inner of my jacket. Not noticing my latest move, he continues to step closer, until his face is inches from mine.

Cato chuckles. Then I suddenly launch myself at him, tackling him to the ground. Since he was unprepared, I easily pinned him. He struggles and starts cursing his foulest language at me. But I am not fazed. I reach forward and tickle his neck with the side of my blade.

"I didn't want this to result in violence, but you forced me to." I sneer at him.

I slice a tiny piece of skin from below his ear. He manages to put on a brave face, but I can tell it hurt. His expression hardens and I lean forward to make a second cut. But he throws me off him, before I reach the skin. My head hits the tiles with a hard bang.He leaps forward and holds me down, tightening his grip on my wrists.

"What a drastic turn of events!" He says. That abnormal look, flickers in his eyes, same as it did in the Games,when he was about to kill someone. It scares me, just a bit. But I do not give in. 

I spit in his face, hitting him directly in the eye, my way of saying 'I'm not gonna surrender.'  He frowns and wipes his eye.

"Well that does it."

But I am too quick. His shifting of weight was just enough for me to agily slide out from underneath him. He stares at the floor, thinking where the hell I went. I jiggle the lock, praying it to click open. Please don't do this god, if I do not get out this door now, Cato will probably kill me. He's pretty infuriated with me, as I am supposed to be his beautiful wife. Thankfully it unlocks just in time and I bolt out the door, before he has the chance to stop me. I leap down the stairs two at a time, ignoring Valora's questioning stares and whip out the door into the dark.