Chapter 2

Chapter 2

One Word

Eli couldn't help looking back at Leila as he walked away. She didn't see him. For some reason she was just sitting in her car. The sight of her inspired his hand to brush against his lips. For a moment, he let his fingers linger, then he stuffed them into his pockets and shook his head. That was stupid. The only consolation he had for the ill advised move was that Leila probably thought he kissed all of his clients goodnight. He didn't. He had a rule about that, actually.

Eli's misbehavior would have to wait, though. He stalked back into Dolcini, which he had just left, and ran into Pierce. His normal jovial nature had vanished. Now his hands were pressed together in penance. "Eli, please let me apologize ..."

"You have nothing to apologize for. Where's Conrad?"

"He's waiting for you at his usual table."

Eli didn't wait for Pierce to escort him. After many of these types of nights Eli had sat with Conrad to discuss how the evening went. His experience with Leila wasn't what he wanted to talk about tonight. Irritation built in him with every step. As soon as Conrad saw him, he stood and crossed his arms over his ample girth. Eli's pace quickened, as did his anger.

"Did Pierce tell you what happened tonight?" Eli demanded.

He hesitated. "He told me there was a problem, but that I should hear the details from you."

"Our waiter, Toni...that kid is gone tonight or I'll start scheduling my meetings at Provençal instead."

Conrad's hands flew away from his body in a pacifying gesture. "Eli, he's fired. No problem, but tell me what happened, at least."

"The second he walked up ..." Eli's hands balled into fists as he remembered the judgment in Tony's eyes when he looked at Leila. "He treated her like she was beneath his notice. He tried to take my order first, completely ignoring Leila. She knew what he was doing, too, Conrad. You should have seen the look on her face. She was mortified. Tony made it clear he knew why she was with me and that he found her pathetic. It took all my effort not to find you right then and demand he be escorted out. The only reason I didn't was to save Leila the embarrassment."

For a moment Conrad was silent. "Your business and friendship mean a lot to me, Eli. This will be Tony's last night at Dolcini. His behavior was unacceptable. No matter why someone is in my restaurant, every one of my guests deserves to be treated like they were one of the bloody Rockefellers. I apologize for his behavior. When you meet with your client tomorrow please tell her that I would be honored to have her back whenever she would like. On the house, of course."

"I don't think she'll accept," Eli said, feeling somewhat pacified.

"As my guest then. Tell her Pierce was so complimentary of her that I refuse to miss out on meeting her for myself." Conrad smiled. "It

wouldn't be a lie, either."

"No, it wouldn't." Leila was someone everyone should want to meet. Conrad may love eating his food more than he should, but he had excellent taste when it came to gourmet cuisine and wine. His judge of people was only slightly less refined.