Different, Part Two

Unedited.

It was easy to say there were handsome genes running through the Reyes DNA. The three cousins that showed up would make any girl stop and stare. Not to mention drool. Not that I was drooling because that would be weird.

Ruben, Manuel, and Casta were their names. Two of them had wedding rings while the youngest, Manuel was engaged. Or at least that’s what he told me.

“I’m only here to make sure these idiotas don’t kill themselves.”

I grinned at him. “So you’re like the look-out.”

“More like you should look out for him,” Ruben commented. “You’ve heard of man-eaters? Well he’s a woman eater.”

“Hey! Estoy comprometido para casarse!” He looked back at me, his arms no longer tight bands crossed over his chest as he held them out in a “believe me” sort of gesture. “I’m engaged to…”

“A una mujer muy hermosa. Sabemos,” Casta said, rolling his eyes. A very beautiful woman. We know.

Manuel narrowed his eyes at the three men who were working on the play set. “No hay nada malo con un poco de alardear…” Nothing wrong with a little bragging…

“Did we say there was?” Ruben switched back over to English because he probably assumed I didn’t know what they were saying and didn’t want to be rude. “You love her. You’re engaged to her. You’re allowed to brag…”

“You just won’t be doing much of it after she pins your ass down and starts giving you chores. Like cleaning the toilet.”

“Or folding the laundry.”

“Or making you do the dishes.”

“Or changing diapers filled with shit,” Ruben said with a disgusted look on his face. “Those are the worst.”

“¿Tiene hijos?” I asked, hoping they would get off the light woman bashing that I actually thought was funny. Not to mention I was letting them know I could speak their native tongue. Rey actually smirked at that one. Do you have children?

Ruben looked down at me, surprise crossing his face until he flashed that dazing smile they all seemed to have inherited. “Sí. Dos de ellos, ambos muchachos.” Yes. Two of them, both boys.

“¿Qué edad?” How old?

“Ambos muchachos son cinco. Son gemelos.” Both boys are five. They are twins.

“So it runs in the family then? The twin thing?” Manuel was looking at me with complete fascination, the expression was actually charming. “What?” I asked him.

“Creo que I has muerto y había ido al cielo.” He looked up at Rey. “Por favor dígame que desea mantener a esta chica.” I think I’ve died and gone to heaven. Please tell me you want to keep this girl.

Before Rey could answer that, Lan came out to assess the progress. “How’s it going out here? I know you ladies are doing more work than you are gossiping.”

“Of course,” Casta said. “We’re working and catching up. It goes hand in hand.”

“You don’t need to catch up,” Lan quipped. The three of you get together every Thursday night for beers and poker.”

“OoOo speaking of that,” Ruben looked at Rey and wiggled his eyebrows. “Are you going to be around long enough for a game?”

“We can squeeze one in before dinner tonight as long as this thing gets finished.”