Sealed With A Kiss

I know it's short. Don't yell at me. It's the last bit I have in Rey's POV and then we'll be back to Elina. 

Unedited

Chapter Twenty-Eight

“What the fuck happened to her?” Houston said when he opened the door and saw Elina in Rey’s arms. The blood tracks were still gracing her skin, Rey not having the time to clean it up since he didn’t want to stop in case there was something wrong with her.

“Marco made her do a line.”

Houston’s eyes popped wide. “Then you need to take her to the fucking hospital, not here.”

“You know how to deal with this stuff…”

“She’s diabetic! Their drug intake has to be measured correctly and if it’s not, they can overdose and die without showing any signs. Hell, she might be going into liver and kidney failure right now.”

“She’s not!” Rey insisted. “She’d be jaundiced if that were true and there are no signs of that. Besides, her dying is the last thing on the old man’s list of things to accomplish. So let me in and help me help her come down off this high.”

“Fine.” Houston moved out of the way so he could carry her in. “Put her on the couch.”

Rey put her down very carefully while Houston disappeared into one of the back rooms for something. Rey brushed a thumb across her forehead to test for a temperature. It was a little high but nothing for them to worry about right now.

His thumb trailed down her cheek and then across her lips. Instead of the reaction, Marco had gotten, she just remained unconscious and still.

“I’m going to fix this, Oranges. I promise. I’ll get you out of this nightmare if it’s the last thing I do.” He cupped her cheek and only then did she rouse, moving her face more into the palm of his hand. “Even if you don’t want me to, I’ll get you out of this. I’ll play the fucking white knight yet again but this time, there are no freebies.” He could feel his face taking on an expression he swore he’d never wear again for anyone other than his family. “You’re going to owe me just about everything and I’ll spend the rest of my life collecting if I have to.”

Rey pressed, what he thought would be a one sided kiss against her lips, but taking him by surprise yet again, her lips moved just a fraction against his. It was almost as if her body was answering an unheard call. Only this time, there wasn’t anything sexual about it. It was more like one of those girly stories his sister used to read where a promise was sealed with a kiss. He’d always hated those parts in the story but as he pulled back and looked down at her, he was finding she was changing things about him that he didn’t even know existed.

“How long since she took it?”

The sound of Houston’s voice startled him out of his thoughts, causing him to blink and his face go blank.

“About an hour.”

“How much did she take?”

“I don’t know. The line was thick and about as long as the spine of an encyclopedia.”

“Shit.” Houston dug a penlight out of the medic bag he’d dropped by the couch. “Move. She should be awake, not sleeping.”

Rey quickly moved out of the way, sitting on the very sturdy looking coffee table a few feet away. Houston pulled back her eyelid but all they saw was white. So he slapped her gently on the cheek until she groaned and then he repeated the process. This time her iris was front and center, still fully dilated with only a slender ring of green on the outskirts.