1

A lie. My entire life was a fucking lie. In the last two months, I've learned more about my true identity than I even thought to exist. I'm not only not American, but Gwen Jennings, the woman who has raised me my whole life isn't my biological mother.

How is this possible? I saw the pictures of her holding me the day I was born. There was no way that that wasn't the truth.

Then there's this whole other family who lives in another country that I didn't know about until recently as well. A grandmother, and my biological father. But my mother? My real mother...dead, just like Gwen.

I'll never forget the pain that surged through my body on the day Professor Oldman pulled me into his office and told me that my mother was killed by a couple of death eaters. I was in the middle of my potions final when I received the horrible news.

I returned home urgently, and the crime scene was still there. The living room looked as if a tornado ripped through it. The couch cushions were torn in two. The chandelier was ripped from the ceiling. The wallpaper was torn off of the wall by the shattered lightbulbs and the ceramic base of the table lamps that were seemingly chucked across the room.

It was terrible. I broke down to my knees and sobbed as I tried to let it sink in that I was now an orphaned wizard with nowhere to go.

Only, that wasn't the case.

Professor Oldman reached out to my estranged foreign family and informed them of the tragedy. My grandmother insisted that I move there. I was against it for obvious reasons. I didn't know that woman, and for all I knew, she could have been the reason Gwen died. I didn't trust so easily anymore, not after what he did to me.

Who knew a boy's betrayal could change your perception of everything? Trust no one but your inner instincts. Which is exactly what I was going to do.

I begged the woman to let me stay with my best friend, Rachel, but she objected. She wanted me where she could keep an eye on me...to keep me safe. Rachel's parents then got involved and tried to persuade the elderly woman's mind, but again, no success.

It was August 30th. The first day of the school year at my new school was in just two days and I was still packing all of my belongings in my American home in Georgia. The ministry permitted me to use magic to pack while under the supervision of ministry personnel, but I refused. I wanted to spend every last moment in this country...in this home that I could.

Rachel lived not too far from me, so I stayed at her house and every day we'd come to my now vacant childhood home and just hang out while we could. Often those days we were also accompanied by our other friend, Clayton.

Rachel and Clayton have been my best friends since our first day at Ilvermorny. The three of us were sorted into Thunderbird together along with our other friend, Grant, and his older brother Archie.

Rachel, Clayton, Grant, and I would hang out every single day. We'd sneak out of our common room, and into the kitchen around midnight and take all of the candy that the house would leave out for us. Then we'd creep through the narrow, spooky halls into an abandoned classroom that we only knew about and would stay up all hours of the night jacked up on our sugar rushes.

But all of that fun came to an end when Grant started to stray from the group. It hurt all of us to see him drift away, but it hurt me the most. I did love him after all.

Rachel, and I were sitting in my old bedroom packing up the last of my things. My grandmother sent more than money to purchase a plane ticket to England, but in the letter, she specifically stated what type of ticket she wanted me to purchase: a first-class ticket, no layovers, and no friends to tag along with.