Reaching Fame - Chapter 1

I walked over to my locker, which was covered in new graffiti. No surprise there. I tore off two pieces of paper saying "dirty emo fag" and "cut deeper". I know, I'm loved. I'm not actually a cutter, so one of those statements were completely irrelevant anyway. I got out a notepad and shoved it in my pocket before slamming the door of my locker shut. I turned around and saw Evie looking at me with concern. She was so freakin' cute and she didn't even know it. She came over to me and hugged me. She was so small compared to me. I'm about 6'2, and she's like 5'4, so she reached my chest. She pulled back and said, "Just ignore it, Curtis, you're better than them," She always says that, but she doesn't know everything, and nor do they. Me and Evie went in different directions to our classes. I had English and Social studies first. I don't get stuff thrown at me in class or anything, unless they're notes, 'cause I'm actually pretty civil with the people who're my age, it's just the lower years who take the piss and put shit on my locker. 

***

The first three lessons, plus break, went by pretty quickly, probably 'cause I slept for most of the time. Lunch was pretty boring, Evie was off cheering, and I was lying on the grass outside listening to music. I didn't bother putting headphones in as I was by myself. I was listening to drowning lessons by my chemical romance when Ryan, Carl, Rob and Dean came over. I stood up and looked at them head to toe, when Dean said, "You still cool for after school at the loner park?" 

"Yeah, but you gotta bring some too 'cause I'm not seeing my supplier again 'til Tuesday," they nodded and walked back off to wherever they came from. I lied back down on the grass and listened to some dubstep. Yes, I like dubstep and drum & bass as well as metal and "emo" music. It was Friday today and me and the others had been meeting up after school by the "loner" park every friday for 3 weeks now. The loner park is actually a wooden park that children don't go to anymore because their parents won't allow them because of the "dodgy" people who go there.

***

The end of the day came pretty fast too, I guess I've been sleeping again. I guess that might be why I've got some pretty bad grades. I used to do really well in school. Straight A's. Now... well now it's different. I walked towards the exit doors of the school and could hear quick footsteps and then unsurprisingly Evie's overexcited voice, "Cheering was really fun today, you should so do it too!"

she grinned up at me, "Err, Evie, I'm a guy?" I laughed.

"Oh yeah..."

I laughed again, "Oh, I do love you Evie," she smiled at me,

"Love you too Curty!"

I frowned at her, my name's Curtis, not Curty. Urgh. But she doesn't even know how serious my words were.

"Erm, I got invited to a party tonight, and you can come if you want," she smiled up at me.

"Err, kinda busy, y'know, it's Friday an' all... what time is it?"

"Starts 'round nine, I'll text you the details. Gotta go Curtis, car's over there, see ya," she smiled at me before walking to her yellow mini. God, she's adorable, and all the boys drool at her without her even realising. I walked over to my battered red car, opened the drivers door and climbed in. 

***

I arrived home and slammed the drivers door shut behind me before locking it and walking in the front door. As I ran upstairs I heard Mom call from the kitchen, "How's school been m'darl'," before closing my bedroom door I called back, "fine thanks, Mom!" I dropped my school bag on the floor and grabbed my laptop. I flipped it open and turned it on. I walked over to the tall mirror in my room. I looked at myself. Not trying to sound vain or anything, but I think I'm pretty attractive. I've got hair in the style of Oli Sykes', except it's black with blue tips. I also have metallic blue snakebites to accompany the colour of my hair. I didn't wear eye-liner, I'm not that emo-ish, besides, I think it would make me look gay. When my laptop was fully loaded up, I signed in on youtube and looked at the number of views for my vocal cover of Don't go, by Bring me the Horizon. It already had 10,328 views with 67 likes and 4 dislikes. I was pretty proud of myself considering I'd only uploaded it last Saturday, not even a week ago. I love singing and screaming, they're things I'm actually good at, and I always do covers and post them on youtube 'cause I like getting criticism. A couple of times people have tried to compare my vocals to Oli Sykes', but our vocals are totally different sounds, plus I'll never be as good as him, and anyway, I like to sing as well as scream. I shut my laptop down and slipped on a hoodie before heading out to the loners park.

***

As I entered the park I could see the boys had already started. I walked over to them casually and we nodded at each other in approval. I rolled my joint and lit it. After a while I already felt more relaxed, and could see the others feeling it too. I felt my phone buzz in my pocket. I quickly took it out and read the text, 

Hey, 

Party's at Greg's place, u know where that is, right? He's cool with u coming, well he doesn't care bout anyone coming, except Dean, cuz last time he was drug dealing, but yeah, I'm expecting u to come! Don't let me down!

Evie xx (oh, and there's tonnes of booze!)

I looked down at my phone, shocked, I didn't know he dealt.

"What's up, Curtis?" said Dean.

"What?"

"You're face, you look like you just found out Santa ain't real,"

"Uh, don't worry, gotta run, see ya round,"

I got up and headed home, it was already 8:30.

***

I opened the front door and walked upstairs, I could hear my parents arguing. I swear their marriage is falling apart, my Dad's always coming home late and sometimes he doesn't even come home at all. I opened the door to my room and changed my clothes. I kept my black skinny jeans on and put on a new  you me at six t-shirt. I headed out to the party.

***

I could hear the party even before I saw the house. I got to the front door and walked in. The Jocks looked down their noses at me, yeah, that's Jocks for ya. They don't have much respect for people like me. I elbowed through the crowd and finally found an already slightly tipsy Evie. As soon as she saw me she ran up to me and hugged me, "Yay! You could come!" 

I laughed, "Yeah, so, where's the booze?"

"Duh, in the kitchen!"

I laughed again and made my way to the kitchen. Whoa, she was right, there's loads of booze. I grabbed two bottles of smirnoff. Selfish, I know. I opened both of them before walking back out to find Evie, who seemed very tipsy now. I gulped a load of drink before approaching Evie.

"Ooh, Greedy are we? Gimme some!" giggled Evie. I sighed and passed her the bottle I was drinking from, which I had already somehow managed to drink a third of. I watched as she downed another third of the bottle. I was already getting tipsy, way too quickly I might add. I took the bottle off Evie,

"You watch it, Evie, you don't wanna get too drunk do you?" I chuckled as she pouted, and handed her the bottle again, "Drink responsibly," I said mockingly. I walked around for a long time and stopped a lot to dance with some girls. 

It had been an hour since I last saw Evie and my head was spinning, I'd drunk way too much, but it felt good. I pushed through the crowds to find a drunk Evie dancing with some jock. She turned around and saw me and walked up to me, tripping twice, "HEY!" she shouted,

"I'm right here, no need to shout!" I laughed at Evie. I could tell I was slurring my words. 

"Come on, I want to show you something!" she grabbed my hand and we ran upstairs.