Another Relative.

I was sitting outside with Molly......"We should catch some sun while it's out!    Got an email from Tuesday last night, her and Tyler are going well. Their between places at the moment, no fixed address..."

"Having fun?..."
"Have never been better.....Nate still asleep?.."
"Face first in the pillow.....Hope he doesn't suffocate..."
Molly pushed her glasses up...."Nah!.."

Riley walked outside to join us.

"The cops are outside your place, and I got asked, did I know your whereabouts. I told them no.   They been very persistent..."

I screwed up my face......"Nate's top of their list.    Gus and Audrey may have slowed Liz down a little, but I think it's the other family that may cause the most trouble..."

We sat in silence for a moment, no one sure what reassurance they could offer.

My phone started to vibrate.......Unknown caller.

I let it go to voicemail. Checked the message, it was police-officer Baker. Think I just felt my breakfast want to come back up. Molly and Riley looked at me....."I should talk to Gus..."

"Try not to panic, at this point.....Their only looking, asking questions..."               Riley leaned back in the deck chair.

I shifted in my chair.

"I'm taking Nate to see Audrey and Gus. Called Audrey last night.....She's really wants to see him..."    I looked at my phone again. Stomach was going up and down.

~~~~~~~~~

I got out of the car, Nate got out too......Looked at me.

"We go inside.   Talk.    See how you feel..."         He was now standing beside me, he nodded.....But, was biting his bottom lip.

Nate grabbed my hand. Guess that's how he was feeling.

We walked up the front stairs together, I opened the front door.....And, found Audrey was standing in the hallway waiting. She'd heard the car, could possibly have been waiting all morning.

"We would have come sooner.     Nate was asleep..." She grinned at me, then looked over to Nate.

Nate was watching Audrey......Unsure, moving slightly behind me, attempting to show an air of self control....Or confidence, but standing behind me, spoke volumes.

Audrey gave him a big smile, stopping her urge to move closer......She knew Nate well enough to know, if anything was to happen......Nate had to be the first to decide.

He was smiling back.....So that had to be a good start.

She asked us to come to the back lawn..."The sun's out, Gus is here. Edith will be back in time for lunch.."

Gus looked over to us as we made our way to the garden chairs.

Nate looked at Gus.....Held my hand a little tighter.    As we sat down...Nate pulled me on to his lap, arms going tightly around my waist. I gently loosened the grip, Nate looked at me....Frowned, but then rested his hands on my knees.

"Nate's remembering.....Still a little patchy in places....But, he's getting there..."
"Ruby's trying to remember too..."

Audrey beamed at us. This was going so well, if only the conversation could stay that way!

"Your still in those clothes..."

I went a bit pink in the face....."We did some washing..."
"......And, I tipped bleach into the machine.    Ruined the lot!    Ruby was so angry. Will let her do the washing from now on. Might have to go shopping.....Maybe we'll become nudists......When these (Pointing to our clothes) fall to pieces. But any ways!       It wasn't her fault..."

Gus grinned at Nate. Nate was a good liar.......Just not convincing!

"Well, it's really good to see you two, I'm glad you both came. But here's the tricky part..."             Audrey wanted to speak first.

She folded, unfolded her hands.

"Nate needs to be here....on this property. The Frenchs feel due to past actions....We've been through this before!          Mostly, Liz's past actions.....Nate would be better suited...His position, should be with them.

Audrey could see me starting to look worried, and shift on Nate's lap. This in turn made Nate tense up.....And start to give the two of them, stern glaring looks.

Audrey frowned, the conversation was going down hill.

Gus looked at Audrey.....Then back to us, smiled.

"On a different topic, but still related......Uncle George is visiting, flys in tomorrow. He's my father's brother. Stern like Dad....Had a thing for Mum.      She's going to use that, keep him on side. He means business.      He's coming for a reason...."              Gus scratched his chin.

"....What shits me the most, he got hold of Nate's medical admissions..."

Before I could stop myself.

"....I got a call from the police, I think I'm in trouble..."

"WHAT?!!.."          Nate suddenly turned me on his lap.

"Riley told me.     Their looking at Tech.   Our house, they were outside.."

"...House?..."              Audrey leaned forward a little.

"That's why Nate needs to be here.....The police will collect on behalf of George, and arrest who ever he's with...."                Audrey was looking annoyed (but, trying to hide it)

I was starting to feel upset. This uncle could take Nate. I was trying to keep him safe....But, he was safer....here?

I'm screwing things up. I could just ran away. It was a comment to myself, Audrey and Gus didn't hear it....But, Nate did.

He didn't say anything, would look at me. We continue talking away to Audrey and Gus.....We were here to stay. Edith returned, Nate hugged her....And they chatted.

But, through out the afternoon.....If he couldn't see me.....He would look. Constantly find ways to keep me close to him.

I felt bad.....Audrey and Gus could do a better job looking out for him....I couldn't even wash his clothes....Or cook!

~~~~~~~~~~

Over dinner, Edith talked about the "great uncle George".......Quite the charmer, he almost could have been your father, Gus!..."

Gus screwed up his face.

Nate was looking at his plate, said he couldn't eat, would I help him?          I absent-mildly looked at him..."You can do it..."

"No, it's hard..."              Nate looked at me, he knew what I'd said to myself.

I position the cutlery.
"Now, try..."               Nate started to eat.

He was fine (In his own way).....But, he would look at me, to him I looked upset.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After dinner, Audrey wanted to spend some time with him. Nate wasn't sure at first.......Things were coming back to him he sat on the couch.....Away from her, watching to see what she'd do. Would look out into the hallway.....I was talking with Gus and Edith, else where in the house. I just wanted to settle my mind about the visit of uncle George.

Audrey started by just talking to Nate.

Nate listened.....Audrey wasn't going to do anything to him, that he could see.....But, he also kept getting memories of times when things hadn't been so easy.

When he was younger......Small, scared. A small girl.....Trying to help him.

"Did.....something bad happen in this room?..."
Audrey looked at him....."No, you had good times here. Your father bought you here to see Edith.."

"Ruby was here....too?.."
"Sometimes.....When Eddie and I had the two of you for weekends..."

Nate tried to grin...."It's nothing.....You were talking about Tech..."