The Push & Pull

I sat on the couch straddling Noah with my face nestled into his neck as he lightly drew patterns on my back with his fingers. We hadn't spoken much since our make out session in the bathroom which was fine with me. I was completely content to sit silently wrapped up in his arms. His touch gave me a great amount of comfort that I hadn't felt in a long time and I assumed that he probably felt the same way I did. 

"We need to talk about something that happened..." I finally say with a sigh before I push back so that I am able to see his face. He is wearing lazy expression, "What's up?" 

I reached back and grabbed a hold of his hands pulling them away from me so that I could focus. This action seemed to make him clear his mind a bit. I held his hands in mine as I spoke focusing my attention on my fingers that were lightly caressing his skin, "Something happened while you were—locked up. Something bad..." I peer up at him from under my lashes to assess his demeanor. He looked down at me with furrowed brows, "What happened?" 

I nibbled on my lip for a second trying to find the right words to say what I needed to say, "Gretchen is dead..." I say softly. I feel his body tense up against mine and I grip his hands tighter as if to tell him I am here for him. He relaxes slightly, "How?" His voice sounds gravely. 

I let out a breath, "Someone killed her and left her in my bedroom" 

A deep growl rumbles out of his chest and I focus my attention his eyes which have grown dark. I expected that he would react this way, considering he's the alpha and his job to protect all the members of his pact. I could see the regret, anger and guilt in his eyes and I wanted nothing more than to take it all away. His eyes scanned over me in a familiar seriousness, "There is more isn't there?" he practically growls. I nod my head not trusting my voice at the moment. He maneuvers us around so that I am no longer sitting on him and he is standing in front of the couch with his back to me. 

I feel a coldness seeping through me and I know that the moment that we shared is long behind us now. I try to ignore the pang of hurt as I stare at Noah's back, "Delilah is missing and whoever killed Gretchen left a message. Dane and Ryder have been searching the entire territory for any signs of Delilah but nothing has turned up yet." 

His body grows more tense and he paces forward before he releases an angry snarl with a hard punch to the wall. I cringe back at the sight and even though I have the desire to comfort him I know he wouldn't appreciate that right now so I remain seated on the couch watching him. He takes in a deep breath before turning to face me, "What was the message?" 

There is a pregnant pause as I stare into his eyes, "Blood moon." I answer. His face forces itself into an angry scowl and his hand clench into fists at his side, "Damn it! Damn it all to hell!" He growls loudly in frustration. 

I push myself up off the couch and come to stand near him, "Noah, I understand that—" He turns to me with a dark gaze, "No you don't understand anything Scarlett." His words feel like knives in my chest and I take a step back from him with a bit of shock, "What?" I whisper softly. 

"You were sheltered your entire life. You have no idea what the real world is like..." He runs his hand through his hair in frustration, "You think that being rejected is the worse thing that can happen to you?! Even after your mate rejected you he took care of you Scarlett. Everyone gave you and has give you everything you've needed, you've never had to fight for anything in your life. So do me a favor and don't stand there and tell me that you understand..."