Kitchen Duty is A Bitch

I walked down the hallway trying not to look lost but I most definitely was. This place was too big to not get lost in. They should really consider using those kiosk maps they have at malls to get you through this maze of a home. I smiled politely when I would pass people but usually they only gave me looks of curiosity before looking away. Alright, so maybe most of the people in this place had social issues not just Noah. 

“You look a little lost…” I hear a feminine voice from behind me. I look over my shoulder to see a darker skinned girl standing there. She was exotically beautiful and the look in her eyes told me she had been through things that made her tough, that and the small scar that ran across her cheek. I gave her a sheepish grin, “Am I that obvious?” She smiled back at me before nodding her head, “Follow me—You’re headed to the kitchen right?” She questions as she turns and starts walking. 

I hesitate for a moment before I turn and follow after her walking quickly to fall into step beside her, “Yeah—I’m Scarlett by the way.” She looks to me out of the corner of her eye which seemed to sparkle with amusement at my introduction, “I know who you are.” She replies as she lifts a hand and tap it to her temple. I look away from her with a frown, “Noah sent you…” 

She chuckles softly as we turn another corner, “I’m Nadia. He was worried you might get yourself so lost he’d have to send a search party out for you…” She teases. 

“Well, perhaps if he had given me directions himself then he could have avoided the trouble.” I say feeling annoyed. Nadia laughs a little more, “He’s a man. You’ll have to excuse his thoughtlessness.” I find a smile spreading over my lips at her bold statement. She had to have balls to make a joke like that at her alpha’s expense in the presence of his mate. Not that she had anything to worry about. I wasn’t about to tell him anything. 

“You must be speaking from experience.” I state. She moves us into a large room that reminds me of a foyer, “My mate is the Delta—sometimes he can be worse then I suspect even the alpha.” She raises her brows and rolls her eyes playfully. I sincerely like Nadia. I smile at her brightly, “If all the women around here are like you then I think I’ve come to the right place.” She laughs as she turns us toward a door, “I’m one of a kind. Unfortunately most of the females around here are in need of some leadership if you know what I mean. You see ever since Claire died—“ She pauses almost realizing that perhaps this was something that she shouldn’t have brought up. I put my hand on her shoulder, “I’m not going to be upset with you for mentioning her Nadia. She was here long before me…” Nadia gave me a sad smile bowing her head slightly, “After Claire died there was only Noah to lead us and well the men like I said are a bit thoughtless. So some females thought it was there right to be in charge—trust me you’ll find out for yourself what I’m talking about.” She pushes the door open and motions for me to enter. 

The kitchen is beautiful and large. I’m sure any chef would cry to cook in this place. I look around with wonder as I watch women bustling around the space. Preparing food for there guests. I recognized Lacey standing at the island chopping up some vegetables. She looked towards Nadia and I and then quickly looked away back to what she was doing. 

“Oh it’s so nice of you to finally join us Nadia.” A tall dark haired beauty spoke with sarcasm. Her eyes roamed to me and she took me in cocking her hip to the side, “And whose this?” her tone of voice made my wolf stand in attention. Nadia heaved a sigh, “This is Scarlett. Scarlett this is Gretchen. You’ll have to excuse her she’s supposed to get the stick from her butt removed pretty soon.” I tried to contain my amusement as Gretchen’s mouth opened slightly and then snapped shut her brown eyes narrowing into tiny slits, “What now you’re going to try and act tough because of your new friend here? Remember what happens to little wolves that get in my way Nadia. Wouldn’t want to scar your other cheek would we?” She sneered.