Chapter 9 - Ryloth

Author's Note: Part of this is based off the legends video game, Republic Heroes. :)

~ Amina Gila

It's thrilling to be back out in space. He never realized how much he missed it until he found himself here, above Ryloth, leading the attack that Ahsoka would once have done herself. He would much rather be on Coruscant, though – he just finished successfully testing the deactivator for the inhibitor chips and carrying it out in full, meaning the clones are now free, and installed the camera in the Works which will record Sidious and Dooku's next meeting. They seem to meet frequent enough, anyway, though it may be a a while yet.

Either way, duty calls, and he was sent off to cut through the defenses above Ryloth so Obi-Wan and Master Windu can get through to help the Twi'leks. Especially after what he did here as Vader, it feels like he owes them this. He owes everything to the galaxy, it seems, and he'll never make up for it, but it doesn't matter, because he's trying now.

And he's wrapped himself in the Force, letting it guide his fighter, nudging the clones in the right ways to avoid the blaster shots.

Anakin feels it when the Separatists call for reinforcements, and they turn back instantly, heading back towards the cruiser. He's deep enough in the Force that he can feel everything, every last move of the shuttles around him, the vulture droids as they hurtle towards them through space, the incoming ships as they jolt out of hyperspace, the Separatist General's smugness at his seeming success, Ahsoka frustration that she wasn't allowed to come even as she stands, commanding however she can... In the physical realm, Anakin twists his fighter around, Artoo whistling, and they take out another group of vulture droids that was closing on the clones before zooming forwards to catch up.

They took out one of the smaller Separatist ships, which is good, but there are many more forces exiting hyperspace, that completely outnumber them. Anakin nudges another fighter aside, sparing it a shot that would have been fatal, right as they reach the cruiser. Beside them, one of the Republic cruisers is struck by oncoming laser fire, the shields breaking down, and Anakin can't find it in himself to reach out far enough and stop it.

The first of the damage causes no fatalities, at least not instantly, and it's not until he's certain the squadron is safe that he reaches out, feeling, letting his mind run through the intricacies of the other ship. The shields failed, and it's suffering extensive damage now – it's nothing that has not been fixed in the past, but Anakin remembers what they did before, and he knows it would not be worth it to fix it. Not when it can serve another purpose.

Master Windu calls right after they make the hyperspace jump to safety, demanding an update, and Anakin can't deny feeling smug that he can assure him that despite the lack of progress, he has a plan, one he knows will work, even if it costs them a cruiser.

It feels oddly freeing to be back here, rewriting time to be as he wanted it to be, as he has always wanted to change everything that he... messed up.

As for Ahsoka, she doesn't seem much happy about the fact that Anakin is going to be left in an escape pod no matter how many times he points out that he's not defenseless.

"What if something goes wrong?" Ahsoka demands.

"Whatever it is, you and Rex should be able to handle it. I will be right there."

"If we can pick you up fast enough," she retorts doubtfully.

"I will be fine," Anakin assures her, "But you must carry out the rest of the plan."

She still doesn't seem any happier, but Anakin calls Rex over to tell him about it before they can keep arguing. It's only wasting time they don't have.