Chapter 2 - The Truth

Consciousness fades in as slowly as ever, and it takes an embarrassing length of time for Anakin to readjust himself to his surroundings. Ahsoka is beside him, and that knowledge alone is enough to make his heart skip a beat. "Stay away from me," he wants to snap. "Leave and never come back; I don't want to hurt you like I did my son." He can't get any of that out, though.

Ahsoka is moving forwards the moment she sees him moving. "Skyguy," she calls, touching his arm. It's his right one; he doesn't feel it, but he can sense it, and the contact is more than what he's had in years. He's no longer accustomed to anyone touching him – except Sidious, occasionally. That was always different. Ahsoka is doing it out of pure and honest caring.

He makes a sound of acknowledgement, not trusting himself to speak. He hasn't been called that in years, either.

"I better tell Obi-Wan you're awake," Ahsoka declares, jumping off the chair she was sitting in. "He'll want to know."

Anakin only nods, though a small part of him whispers with the warning that his master will probably be angry. It doesn't matter though, does it? He won't hurt him. He's not like Sidious. Obi-Wan wouldn't hurt him unless he truly deserved it. What matters is that the Republic got Gunray, and Anakin still can't believe that happened.

Ahsoka returns a moment later, returning herself to Anakin's side. Obi-Wan steps in after. He's angry, and it makes Anakin tense up instantly. The last time he saw his master angry was years ago on Mustafar, and even though it's been so long, it doesn't stop the sudden fear clawing its way into his chest. It must be his body, he decides. As Vader, it wasn't this easy to be afraid. If it happened, then it did, and that was it. "Obi-Wan –" he begins.

"The first thing you do when you wake up is go straight back to battle," he replies sharply. "You're not a child anymore. You should know better than that."

"I know," Anakin retorts, "That Ahsoka needed my help, and I can't refuse." Not again. Never again.

Obi-Wan crosses his arms, glaring. "You could not even stand," he snaps, "And you lacked the sense of mind to stay where you were? What if you died?"

Maybe it would have been better, except he is the only one who knows what Sidious is planning. He's the only one who has the necessary information to stop him – not that it's a guarantee he'll succeed at that, but he knows if he responds, it'll only make Obi-Wan more upset. He's well-accustomed to that.

He's truthfully not sure what it is that sets it off. It can't be the lighting, because the room is bright white, but something about the look on Obi-Wan's face makes him tense up entirely. Or maybe it's the very fact that he's in a medbay and that brings back very, very bad memories. He recognizes this and tries desperately to force himself to breathe – it's hard because he's not used to it – and stay calm, but it's difficult.

"What possessed you to do something like this?" Obi-Wan huffs.

"Obi-Wan," he requests quietly. "Please. I –" He doesn't know how to explain that he time-traveled, that he knew what's going to happen. He doesn't even know if he should.

"What is it?" Some of the heat has slipped from his voice. He's just worried, Anakin tries to tell himself, but he's not sure he believes it.

It takes a moment for him to gather himself, to keep talking even if he can't bring himself to look at Obi-Wan's face – the last time he saw him was when he killed him. He doesn't deserve to be here. "I know you will not believe me," Anakin says finally, "But I – I came from the future."

Ahsoka stares.

Obi-Wan rubs a hand over his face, suddenly feeling completely worn out. "Anakin, I –"