Chapter 4: Motives

You haven't gotten much sleep as of late.

Getting out of bed, you stretch. Even though you aren't locked in the room anymore, you might as well be. Ever since Mello, Matt, and Near had revealed their true intentions to you, you spend all your days in the headquarters, where they claim you will be safe. It's painfully boring. Mello, Matt, and Near spend all their time working and none of their agents will hold a conversation with you. So, you usually dedicate your time to reading and exercising.

Throwing on clothes, which some of their workers had kindly picked up from your house, you sigh. It's been weeks since they brought you here and you haven't had any contact with your family. You hope they're alright.

Aside from that, you also still have so many questions. You feel as if no one is willing to listen to you. Whenever you do see Matt, Mello, and Near, they tend to brush you off and attempt to placate you. You can feel the condescending aura drip off of them. It makes you furious.

Grabbing a book, you exit your room. The hallway is empty, like it usually is. You open the book as you walk, flipping to the page you were on. Without looking up, you make your way to the kitchen.

Once inside, you take the time to set down your book and make breakfast. You're not the best chef, so most days it's just a bagel with some cream cheese slathered on. Taking your place at the table, you dig in.

As the door slams open, you jump, looking up. It's not who you expected, though. The blonde agent with choppy bangs makes her way into the kitchen, sending you a glance as she heads to search through some cupboards.

Halle, that was her name, right?

"Hello," you call, your voice a tad bit raspy from underuse. You quickly clear your throat. "You're Halle, right?" Maybe you could get some information out of her.

"Yes." Halle replies, still digging through a cupboard. She seems quite disinterested in you.

You think about the interaction you overheard with her and Mello. Clearly she had a bit of history with all of them. Maybe you could get her attention through that.

"What do you know about them?" You ask. "Mello, Matt, and Near, I mean."

Halle blinks, seeming surprised. "Those three?" She thinks about this for a moment. "They're too smart for their own good." She turns back to the cupboard.

You're pleased that she actually talked to you, but you need to know more.

"How did they get to be..." you cut yourself off, wanting to say 'L's successors', but decide for a less suspicious word, "detectives."

"They were raised for it, I suppose." Halle doesn't look away from her search. "They lived at Wammy's orphanage and learned from there. It led to a kind of rivalry between Mello and Near though." Halle shrugged. "I don't really know much about back then, I didn't start working for Near until the SPK was formed."

"So you work for Near, how do you know Matt and Mello?" You press.

"They pop up now again and compete with Near on cases, Matt less so. All that guy cares about is that he gets enough money for the month to buy all the cigarettes and games he wants. Mello, however..." This time Halle pauses. Her voice goes soft. "He's so much more than that. He's ambitious and clever and passionate and-" She shakes her head. "Mello finds trouble too easily and he doesn't stop to think about the people that get in his way."

Halle finds what she's looking for and heads for the door. Before she leaves, though, she looks at you. "I would trust them all with my life, though, if that's worth anything."

Alone, you eat up your breakfast and head to the exercise room, contemplating your conversation.

Your choice of frustration outlet is the punching bag. Geared up in lightweight boxing gloves, you go to town on this poor bag as you think.