66-70

rustycol | Liu Yao - Chapter 66

rustycol.dreamwidth.org

Thanks to MrMrsMissRandom for editing and InkSplatterM for English help!

*******

The hidden injuries on Yan Zhengming haven’t completely healed yet. As he is startled like that, his energy flow gets stuck, causing him to cough his lungs out. 

Cheng Qian seriously looks at his most senior brother, who is shaking like a flower in the rain. He feels that there is nothing that should be hidden about this, so he continues, “Han Yuan said your demon of the heart was something I wouldn’t dare to know. Thinking about it, I find there is no reason I should be afraid to learn about it. Even if you intend to rebel against our Master and the seniors before him, well, none of them is still around for you to wage your immoral rebellion on. You should just say it out loud. Maybe it’ll help you.”

He is such an adorable blockhead...

Hearing these righteous words, Yan Zhengming feels even more cornered. He gloomily glances at Cheng Qian with a sorrowful face. Staring at that honest, straightforward face for a moment, Yan Zhengming tiredly waves his hand and says, “Scram!”

The sweet words in his imagination are truly imaginary. Yan Zhengming realises that, in the brutal reality, all he says to Cheng Qian is just “scram”. 

Cheng Qian frowns, as he can’t discern the cause of this unreasonable bout of temper. He keeps his own feelings under control and patiently explains. “Most senior brother, even the mortals, who are preoccupied with living from day to day, may have moments when they are bothered by something. So, it isn’t strange for those who are on the long path of cultivation like us to momentarily get stuck.”

“There really isn’t nothing. Basically there is nothing. Did I say that there is something?” Because he has been having indecent thoughts, Yan Zhengming’s shame turns into anger, and he lets out a string of mocking words at Cheng Qian. Having said that, he himself feels that his anger is too unreasonable, so he gathers his determination and pushes it to the end. “I won’t tell you. Stay away!”

Cheng Qian: “…”

Under his uncomprehending gaze, Yan Zhengming gets even angrier. He stares at Cheng Qian for a long while, imagining himself pull Cheng Qian in and yell into his ears: “Can’t you leave it? My demon of the heart is you, you asshole.” 

Unfortunately, he only dares to imagine that. On the outside, Yan Zhengming sits very still like he were frozen, but inside, he undergoes great upheavals, as his heart jumps up and down like a monkey.

In the end, he strikes the monkey in his heart dead. Being a paragon of rationality, he chooses the ‘out of sight out of mind’ approach, and turns away from Cheng Qian. 

After an unimaginably short talk and an unimaginably long struggle, Yan Zhengming plans to resume the cold war.

Cheng Qian falls silent. Then he suddenly smiles. “Fine, I won’t ask anymore. In any case, you look fine to me.”

Yan Zhengming glances at him. 

Cheng Qian says, “Someone who can find ways to enjoy himself in any circumstance like you…”

Seeing as a storm is forming on his sect leader and senior brother’s face again, as if he is about to discipline him, Cheng Qian finds his tact for once in his life. 

Complaining to himself that this Noble Consort’s temper keeps getting more difficult to deal with, he takes out a small baton from his sleeve. As he opens his palm, the “baton” becomes larger and turns into a richly decorated sword. It’s none other than the sword the lord of the valley Nian Mingming gifted him when they parted.