Chapter One

Rain rested his head on his hand and stared out the window at the storm. God he was bored, so bored. Nothing interesting was ever going to happen to him, just a boring little life in this boring little boarding school his parents insisted he attend.

He felt a sharp pain in his leg and realized that Sky had kicked him, the teacher was looking at him expectantly. "Young master Rain, is the weather more interesting than my lesson?"

Yes, Rain thought, a hundred times more so. "No, teacher," he said.

"Then I suggest you pay attention, I don't think you can afford another failing grade in my class." It was true, anything that required creativity Rain was top in the class but these lecture classes he just couldn't seem to focus on. Oh well, maybe Sky would let him borrow his notes after class. He glanced over at Sky who had taken at least three pages of perfectly legible notes and wondered how his friend managed to follow along with this brain numbing lecture.

He felt his gaze being drawn to the window once more when the teacher turned to write on the board in front of the class.

Rain picked up his food tray and looked around the crowded canteen for Sky. Despite being full, the canteen where they had dinner was surprisingly quiet and well behaved. The teachers and prefects roamed among the tables to make sure no students were being unruly. The worst of the latter were Rain's nemesis, the brothers Stop and Gun. They were bullies in prefect's clothing and seemed to have a particular grudge against Rain and Sky. Rain admitted it was probably his fault for calling Stop a cowardly dog, but he had been pushing around one of the younger kids that was half his size at the time.

Speak of the devil, "Well if it isn't the damp cloud." Stop said coming up behind Rain and pushing him causing his food tray to go flying. Rain looked in regret at the now inedible dinner littering the floor.

"Clumsy," Gun said from the other side. "You should get a mop and clean that up."

Rain looks around but as usual the teachers all seem to be turning a blind eye.

Rain sighs and kneels down to pick up tray and food containers. Mr. Aon the nice old janitor is already heading this way with a mop thankfully. Maybe Rain will still be able to nibble something off Sky's tray. Rain is surprised by a hand reaching down to help him back up, except for Sky most of the students avoid Rain when Stop and Gun are around to keep from becoming targets themselves.

Rain looks up at the most beautiful person he has ever seen. Everything about the other student is just simply gorgeous. Rain feels his mouth drop open in surprise. "So handsome." Rain murmurs. He sees the other boy's lips twitch in amusement and realizes he said that out loud. Rain takes the offered hand, which is surprisingly cold, and stands up. "Thank you," he says with a smile.

"Does this sort of thing happen often?" The other asks him.

Rain draws a blank for a minute, does he often call people handsome? No, that's never happened before. Before he can embarrass himself further he realizes that the other had seen his interaction with Stop and Gun and meant that.

"Sometimes," Rain sighs.

"The teachers don't do anything?" He looks over at the teacher table and the ones moving among the students.

"They are prefects, they could practically murder someone in the middle of a class and the teachers would turn a blind eye. Besides, their father pretty much owns the school." Rain says. "I'm Rain by the way."

"Nice to meet you, Rain. I'm Phayu." He says.

"I haven't seen you before, are you new here?" Rain asks.