7. purple sun

SARAH CAMERON'S POV

SARAH CAMERON'S POV

"C'mon, we gotta get up it's already 1pm" I giggled, nudging JJ's side making him groan, rolling over so his face was in the pillow.

"Can't we just stay here?" He mumbles, looking over at me. I shake my head, a smile creeping onto my face. JJ and I had been laying around all day in the treehouse but we promised to meet Pope at the chateau to go out on the boat today. We were already running late as JJ had other plans for our morning, not that I'm complaining.

I pull the blanket off JJ, taking off his shirt I had been wearing as I tossed it over him, slipping on my bikini top as well.

"Nope! We've done that all day already, Pope's gonna be livid" I hum, slipping on my Birkenstocks. JJ whines again as he pulls on his shirt and finally gets up, smirking at me. "I think he'd understand" he teases, making me once again roll my eyes as we make our way to the van.

"I don't think we should tell him about us yet" I say softly, buckling up as JJ starts the van, driving us towards the chateau.

"Wasn't planning on it Sarah" JJ says nonchalantly. 

For some reason that hurt. I didn't want to tell Pope about us yet either however JJ still had yet to say we are anything except friends. I didn't want to be just friends but at the same time the guilt of JJ and I being more than that was haunting me. What if John B is still alive? What if he comes back?

I ignore the intrusive thoughts and look out the window at the marsh. I was so in love with life just months ago. I found the love of my life, John B. The Outer Banks was beautiful, vibrant and full of adventures to explore but now it felt dull, colorless, lifeless.

JJ made life more colorful but it was secretive. We're both hurting so bad and part of me wonders if maybe this is all just a mistake. JJ didn't seem to care. I was almost a distraction for him and sometimes I wonder if maybe that's all I will ever be to him. I wonder if maybe I just remind him of his best friend, his best friend who's been presumed dead.

"You gonna get out blondie?" JJ chuckles, the van door open as he leaned against it, nudging my leg. I hadn't even realized we were already back at the chateau.

I nod, hoping out just as Pope comes out of the chateau.

"Took you long enough! I thought you guys got like... killed" He hisses, instantly yanking JJ and I towards the boat. 

"Hey hey easy big boy!" JJ laughs, setting the cooler down in the boat before helping me in. 

Pope watches us, I can tell he's thinking of something but just not saying anything. It's probably best he doesn't.

JJ starts up the boat and we begin drifting out into the marsh. I connected my phone to the speaker, playing one of the playlists I had been working on. The first song to play was Purple Sun by Cannons, perfectly fit the vibes of the day. The boys had started trusting me with any playlists, whether that was for a chill night in or a boat day.

JJ had cracked open a beer, making me roll my eyes slightly as I knew one beer would quickly turn into 5 then 10 then more. John B's birthday was coming up and I knew it was bothering JJ, I could tell. He was drinking and smoking more, almost constantly. 

Pope also noticed, mumbling something about JJ needing to lay off of the beers, resulting in JJ simply giving him the bird. 

"So Sarah, your cousin is she-"

"She's gay Pope" I chuckle, I could tell Pope had his eyes on her from day one. Admittedly, if she was straight they would be cute together however Cara was definitely far from straight. 

Pope's eyes go wide from embarrassment. "Oh yeah no I know" He chokes out, looking out at the marsh. JJ laughs, handing Pope a beer.

"We can't all be winners bud" 

Pope rolls his eyes and cracks open the beer, taking a sip. "Oh so you're winning then JJ?" Pope raises his eyebrow. My eyes snap between JJ and Pope, oh shit. There's no way Pope didn't know something was happening between JJ and I. We were too obvious.

JJ shrugs, a smirk growing on his face as he finishes his first beer before going for a second. 

"Perhaps there is buddy boy" 

I glare at JJ, was he stupid?! Did he not just say he had no intention of letting Pope know about us? Why would he even play into Pope's suggestion if he was so dead set on not letting Pope find out about us?

"Oh yeah? Who's the lucky lady?" Pope chuckles, leaning back against the side of the boat.

I felt frozen. JJ was so unpredictable at times that I truly had no clue if he was about to out us to Pope. Maybe he was testing the waters but either way I felt like I was about to puke.

JJ's hand rests on my thigh, making me freeze even more. Pope glances at his hand, his face drops and nobody says anything. Fuck! 

"Hey, I never said there was anyone in particular, for all you know I've got a lot of ladies hitting my line" JJ chuckles, patting my thigh before getting up to steer the boat. 

Pope stays silent, looking at me like he saw a ghost. Well actually I really couldn't tell if he was more mad or confused. All I knew was that JJ's comment made my stomach drop. After everything he's done and said to me, why would he make that joke? Was it even a joke? JJ has a lot of girls always throwing themselves at him, it wouldn't surprise me if he actually was talking to someone else but for some reason it still hurt. It hurt thinking JJ wasn't just mine.

The rest of the boat ride was filled with silence besides the music and occasionally JJ making a comment about how they should've brought their fishing poles with. Pope seemed to be growing more angry at JJ, he wouldn't look at me whatsoever however he was staring JJ down. 

Eventually we returned to the chateau and JJ instantly jumped out, grabbing the cooler and speaker before running into the chateau to find more beer and weed. 

Pope helped me out of the boat but grabbed my arm before I could start walking back into the chateau.

"I think we should talk real quick"

A/N

HEY! sorry for not updating sooner! I had a self care weekend aka i wasn't on my mac or phone really (went out to the lake and on some hikes and went hammocking) 

vote and comment!! it motivates me to want to keep writing and update faster/more often!!