𝟏𝟗.

excuse any mistakes..

SEMAIJAH

"When did you learn to play the piano?" Jamel questioned me as we both sat in front of the piano. He has seen this piano numerous times when he has visited my home, but today, for some reason, he wants me to play it for him.

"I learned how to play the piano when I was 12. My daddy had it as a decoration in his house so I went on YouTube and taught myself how to play."

"You love yo daddy hella. Every time you talk bout him something shimmers in yo eyes." He said and I just chuckled because something shimmers?

"Shimmers? But yeah I love my dad. If it wasn't for him I don't even think I would get this far."

"Whatchu mean?"

"Obviously he wasn't alive when I actually started taking this singing stuff seriously but since I was little I loved singing and he knew that so he would take me to open mic nights and I would just look at people showing off their talent."

"You ever sung up there?" He asked me. Jamel showing interest in me talking about all of this is really startling to me because Razzi never showed any interest in them when I would talk to him about stuff like this. I don't know how to feel.

"Yeah he forced me to one night." I began to smile as I remembered the first time I sang in front of an audience other than my daddy, Raylan, my daddy's friends, and Ahmahdi. "I was so nervous but as I started singing more I started feeling comfortable and everybody loved my singing."

"Yo daddy proud of you I know that. How he died?" Jamel asked. He asks a lot of questions and he doesn't care, but I don't care either because I'm curious just like him.

The only difference between me and him is that he actually asks the questions, whilst I do not.

"He died of cardiac arrest. I was the one to find him dead." I mumbled but despite the fact that I didn't say it so lowly and he was sitting directly by me, he could still hear me.

"Wowwww, I'm sorry for yo loss for real. How that affected you? You know finding yo daddy dead and just him leaving you at a young age?"

"Jamel." I bust out laughing "You're a really curious person like you ask a lot of questions."

"My fault, My fault." He raised both his hands up and I laughed even more "I'm interested. I wanna know more bout you and allat."

"You're asking all of these questions just know I'm going to question you next. Ion know that much about your childhood like you know about mine." I told him and he nodded before shrugging.

"Ion got no problem with that. You still gon play some of that piano for me too."

"I ain't forget but I'm just going to tell you how it all happened, I was spending the weekend at Ahmahdi's house and when it was time for me to go back home I unlocked the door and walked inside of the house and found him dead in his room. The first three months after my dad died I was blank."

"Whatchu mean?" He furrowed his eyebrows.

"I was blank. I didn't cry. I didn't grieve or none of that and I thought I was a horrible daughter because I wasn't sad about his death but then it finally dawned on me that he died. I began missing days of school, I wasn't doing my work, and I had no motivation for anything."